Hammer attack hospitalizes 1 with head injury
A 48-year-old Jeannette man was arrested on Saturday on charges of striking an Irwin man on the head with a hammer during an argument.
David L. Risher was arrested by Jeannette police early Saturday after the argument with Edward J. Spolnick at Risher's apartment in the 100 block of McGee Avenue.
When police arrived at Risher's apartment at 12:12 a.m. Saturday, Spolnick was lying on the kitchen floor as he was being treated by a neighbor, who was trying to stop the bleeding, police Cpl. Richard J. O'Neal wrote in an affidavit of probable cause filed before District Judge Joseph DeMarchis.
“Risher stated that he did hit Spolnick with a hammer that was sitting on top of a cabinet because he wanted him to leave his house and Spolnick refused,” O'Neil said.
Before paramedics took Spolnick, 50, to an ambulance to transport him to a medical helicopter for a flight to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh, they told police that Spolnick “had a visible injury to his head that resembled the claw end of the hammer,” O'Neil wrote.
Police indicated Risher and Spolnick had been drinking before the assault.
Spolnick's condition was not released by the hospital.
Risher was jailed in the county prison when he failed to post $25,000 bond. He is charged with aggravated assault.
Risher's preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday before DeMarchis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Flight 93 memorial fire hints at struggle to safeguard historic artifacts
- DEP orders cleanup of former Jeannette Glass property to resume
- Route 217 bridge across Loyalhanna Creek reopens early
- The real Captain Phillips brings story of piracy to St. Vincent College
- Southwest Greensburg man died of injuries in accident in Bell
- Greater Latrobe teachers, school board approve 5-year contract
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of abusing position, viewing porn on the job
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- Physicist found joy in family, friends, work, wine
- Mt. Pleasant man injured when tractor hit by vehicle
- Second phase of Westmoreland Airpark in Unity opens