Hammer attack hospitalizes 1 with head injury
A 48-year-old Jeannette man was arrested on Saturday on charges of striking an Irwin man on the head with a hammer during an argument.
David L. Risher was arrested by Jeannette police early Saturday after the argument with Edward J. Spolnick at Risher's apartment in the 100 block of McGee Avenue.
When police arrived at Risher's apartment at 12:12 a.m. Saturday, Spolnick was lying on the kitchen floor as he was being treated by a neighbor, who was trying to stop the bleeding, police Cpl. Richard J. O'Neal wrote in an affidavit of probable cause filed before District Judge Joseph DeMarchis.
“Risher stated that he did hit Spolnick with a hammer that was sitting on top of a cabinet because he wanted him to leave his house and Spolnick refused,” O'Neil said.
Before paramedics took Spolnick, 50, to an ambulance to transport him to a medical helicopter for a flight to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh, they told police that Spolnick “had a visible injury to his head that resembled the claw end of the hammer,” O'Neil wrote.
Police indicated Risher and Spolnick had been drinking before the assault.
Spolnick's condition was not released by the hospital.
Risher was jailed in the county prison when he failed to post $25,000 bond. He is charged with aggravated assault.
Risher's preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday before DeMarchis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Emaciated Lab-collie mix found in garbage bag in New Stanton
- Wanted: Youngwood Borough Council member
- Friends take to social media to recall Herminie teen
- Ex-kennel manager in Fayette County ordered to pay fines
- Burglary, attempted assault at Rostraver bowling lanes investigated
- Derry Area energy costs expected to rise
- Convicted killer won’t be freed in 1973 double-murder of children
- Judge removes Zapatosky, Fayette County from civil rights suit
- MAX Environmental fined for ordinance violations
- Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County upgrades emergency communications plan
- Herminie woman, 18, dies after car accident in Turkeytown