Mt. Pleasant administration proposing 'freshman academy'
Mt. Pleasant Area School District administrators explained a proposal to start a “freshman academy” of sorts to members of the Mt. Pleasant Area School Board on Tuesday night.
High school Principal Ken Williams said the purpose of the academy for ninth-graders is to increase student achievement and reduce the number of dropouts and students not graduating within their four-year period.
The Academic Recovery and Enrichment Program will focus on providing immediate identification of students who don't seem to be grasping the core concepts of the curriculum they're studying.
The program will allow students who are doing well to be able to enrich their freshman year experience.
While there will still be an eight-period schedule, one period will be dedicated to the Academic Recovery and Enrichment Program.
The first two weeks of the school year will be dedicated to educating students on study skills, but as the year progresses, teachers will generate lists of students who are in need of academic assistance.
Every two weeks, students will be assigned or re-assigned to a specific Academic Recovery and Enrichment classroom.
Gifted education students in the ninth grade will be assigned to an enrichment classroom during this period.
During their meeting on Sept. 9, directors will be asked to appoint Olivia Darr and Marcus Malara as student representatives to the board and to approve the list of substitute employees.
The board will consider the employment of Cynthia Hutcheson as a classroom assistant at $11.25 an hour and to approve Margaret Forbes and Kathleen Tylka as long-term volunteers at Rumbaugh Elementary.
Under athletics and activities, directors will take action on the resignations of Kelsey Landy as assistant junior high boys soccer coach, Jeffrey Smith as junior high girls basketball coach, Maureen Grace as mock trial sponsor and Monica Cox as head softball coach.
The board will consider naming Terri Remaley as assistant junior high boys soccer coach and Fred Collins as the junior/senior high stage crew sponsor.
Rachel Basinger is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Derry Township man killed when ATV flips
- Record-holding female motorcyclist to speak at Lincoln Highway event
- Renovations a go on historic La Rose building in downtown Greensburg
- Prison becomes detox center for growing number of inmates with addictions
- Survey finds no clear fix to achieving racial diversity in Westmoreland County
- Ligonier water shutoff delayed slightly
- Westmoreland County Animal Response Team seeks money for new space
- 10-year-old Blairsville violinist’s expulsion over knife challenged
- Hempfield prison film canceled because of Pa. budget impasse
- Ligonier equine facility breaks ground
- Greater Latrobe passes resolution to move forward on building new Latrobe Elementary School