Search resumes for man who went missing in North Huntingdon
Authorities resumed searching on Saturday for a 58-year-old White Oak man who went missing along the Youghiogheny River in North Huntingdon.
Township police said they had not found James G. Leffard as of early Saturday afternoon.
His vehicle was found along the river in the Turner Valley section of the township on Friday, Sgt. Gregory T. Arendas said. An avid kayaker, Leffard's kayak was found unoccupied with his cellphone and identification inside near Coulter, Allegheny County.
Police said they were uncertain whether Leffard had an accident or a medical problem.
Authorities resumed the search about 7 a.m. Saturday after disbanding it about seven hours earlier because of darkness.
River rescue boats and all-terrain vehicles scoured the river banks. Canines aided authorities in the search.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying
- Greensburg Salem school board discusses stricter anti-nepotism policy
- Couple files lawsuit claiming Ruffsdale Gun Club contaminates soil, water
- Ligonier Township business will have to control grease
- Gibsonia film producer makes documentary about female troops serving in war
- Residents warned after incidents with bottles rigged to explode on Jeannette streets
- Westmoreland County tourism grants promote banana splits, breweries, trolley, railroad
- Fire marshal probes cause of blaze that destroyed vacant Derry Township house
- Walker: Scottdale Association’s Good Friday service site changes to Trinity church
- Laurel Mountain Ski Resort discusses planned revival
- Donora-Monessen bridge ramps to stay open during construction