North Huntingdon police end search for White Oak man
North Huntingdon police will not resume their search for a 58-year-old White Oak man who went missing along the Youghiogheny River in North Huntingdon.
Township police say that they exhausted all of their resources on Friday and Saturday looking for James G. Leffard.
His vehicle was found along the river in the Turner Valley section of the township on Friday, Sgt. Gregory T. Arendas said. An avid kayaker, Leffard's kayak was found unoccupied with his cellphone and identification inside near Coulter, Allegheny County.
Police said they were uncertain whether Leffard had an accident or a medical problem.
Authorities searched Friday and Saturday until dark for Leffard.
River rescue boats and all-terrain vehicles scoured the riverbanks. Dogs aided authorities in the search.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Training sessions to administer heroin overdose antidote to begin in Derry
- Student violinist,Valley School of Ligonier reach settlement
- Rostraver man pleads guilty in 2012 deadly wreck on I-70
- Greensburg torture slaying participant Marinucci makes second appeal of sentence as unconstitutional
- Study shows Ligonier Borough might save if police consolidate
- Tenaska agrees to provide pollution information on proposed South Huntingdon plant
- Unity planners recommend OK of church plans
- Ruffsdale family loses daughter, 9, to cancer but gives back in her name
- Man wields knife in convenience store robbery near Herminie
- Youngwood officials consider taking over building inspections
- Derry Township sponsors hazardous-waste drop