Penn-Trafford talent night to aid foundation
School district officials are planning a winter fundraising event for the Penn-Trafford Community Education Foundation.
“Penn-Trafford's Got Talent” — to be held in the high school auditorium on Jan. 18 — will raise money for the foundation, district Superintendent Matt Harris announced at a school board meeting on Monday.
The foundation provides educational grants to teachers. In its four years, the foundation has doled out thousands of dollars to fund items ranging from physics catapult kits to aquarium supplies to flip cameras.
Harris said he hopes students in elementary, middle and high school grades will perform in the talent show. All proceeds will benefit the foundation.
To seek the foundation's grant money, teachers can submit proposals explaining their ideas for projects and necessary materials.
The foundation has about $16,700 in its coffers, $3,000 of which was donated during the summer.
Although the grants are small, “it means a lot” to the recipients, Harris said.
“We're doing pretty good for a small organization,” he said.
Board member Nick Petrucci reported that renovation work at the Central Westmoreland Career and Technology Center is under way. Penn-Trafford students participate in course work at the school.
The upgrades are part of a $6.5 million plan at the New Stanton vocational-technical school.
Boilers have been installed and are expected to begin working on Oct. 15. Work to upgrade welding shop fans, exhaust and lighting and to replace the roof is in process, he said.
Rossilynne Skena is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6646 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bushy Run Battlefield upgrades to include trail, signs, landscaping
- Historic Greensburg Art Center joins Cat’s Meow collection
- Greensburg police captain to attend highly selective academy
- Youngwood Fire Department to dedicate memorial at station
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Walker: Applebees to help Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action
- Families welcome new members on Adoption Day in Westmoreland County
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show
- Westmoreland jail guard accused of selling illegal steroids
- Jeannette man pleads guilty to attempting to entice child in Louisiana
- Westmoreland County, state AG to get funds from illegal lottery