Superintendent named for Mt. Pleasant Area
Mt. Pleasant Area School District has a new superintendent, and if all goes as planned, his first day will be Nov. 1.
The school board hired Timothy M. Gabauer, who is currently the superintendent of the McKeesport Area School District.
Gabauer was hired for five years at a yearly salary of $135,000, contingent on the execution of an employment contract.
Board President Robert Gumbita said 12 candidates applied for the position and six were chosen for the first round of interviews. Of those six, two dropped out and three were called back for a second round of interviews.
Gumbita said Gabauer brings a wealth of education and experience to the school district. He served in the McKeesport district in a variety of positions, starting as a teacher at the middle school and high school levels and as a building principal at both levels.
He served as the assistant superintendent of schools in McKeesport before his current position as superintendent.
Gabauer, who attended Monday's meeting with his family, thanked the board and said he is looking forward to serving the entire community.
Director David Brooks said that while the search took longer than the board would have liked, the big winner in all of this is the school district family.
“I think we got a quality person with quality experience, and I feel confident that he will lead the school district to great heights,” Brooks said.
In other business, the board accepted the retirement resignation of administrator Michael Picarsic. His last day will be sometime between March and June 30, depending on when a replacement is found.
Directors approved a list of substitute employees and the request of Julia Crivella for family medical leave.
The board approved William Hurst as the junior high girls basketball coach, pending the satisfactory completion of all required paperwork.
Directors approved a few conference requests from teachers as well as a request for the Tower of Power marching band to travel to New York City from April 25 to 27.
Rachel Basinger is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ligonier Valley YMCA marks start of 32,000-square-foot expansion
- Lineup released for Greensburg concert series
- Women to stand trial in theft of drugs from Norwin Pharmacy
- Fracking foes pack zoning discussion in Ligonier Township
- Budget work ahead for Southmoreland School District
- Mt. Pleasant known for backing military, glass industries, health care
- Loyalhanna mother appeals conviction in beating of 3-month-old daughter
- Dog found shot dead in cardboard box in Derry Township
- Technology, teaching style set district apart, Mt. Pleasant Area administrators say
- Mt. Pleasant’s background colored by entrepreneurial spirit
- Change in air in Mt. Pleasant, with residents citing flourishing business district, ease of access to hospital