Derry woman, son charged in alleged drug buy
A Derry Township woman and her son were arrested on Sunday for allegedly taking $360 from an undercover drug task force officer who was trying to buy heroin from her to set up her arrest, Westmoreland County Drug Task Force agents said.
Tracey L. Thomas, 42, of Murtha Way told police she kept the $360 the undercover officer gave her at 7:15 p.m. Sunday at a car wash along Industrial Boulevard in Derry Township because the person, who offered to buy 30 stamp bags of heroin, owed her money, authorities said.
Thomas did not retrieve any heroin from a car that was waiting for her, and sped away in the car at a high rate of speed toward Latrobe, according to the affidavit the task force filed.
Thomas said she had asked her neighbor for a ride to meet the buyer at the Latrobe Skating Center on Ligonier Street.
Members of the Westmoreland County Drug Task Force said they confronted Thomas at her home, and she admitted taking the $360, according to the affidavit. Thomas claimed she gave money to her son, Scott M. Thomas Jr., 23, of the same address, and he hid it in a potted plant. However, officers recovered only $68 from the plant pot.
Tracey Thomas was charged with theft and receiving stolen property; her son was charged with tampering with evidence and receiving stolen property.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 3 institutionalized Westmoreland men file suit, claim lack of programs
- Latrobe City Council OKs sale of Old Athletic Field for new elementary school
- Re-enactor commits to pioneer lifestyle in Murrysville cabin
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- Drones hover at top of holiday wish lists
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices
- Contractor eyes early finish to work on New Stanton interchange of Interstate 70
- 40 years later, siblings of South Greensburg girl who disappeared still seek closure
- Family collecting donations for Salem man seriously injured in deer stand fall
- Dining at Applebee’s helps Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action