Derry woman, son charged in alleged drug buy
A Derry Township woman and her son were arrested on Sunday for allegedly taking $360 from an undercover drug task force officer who was trying to buy heroin from her to set up her arrest, Westmoreland County Drug Task Force agents said.
Tracey L. Thomas, 42, of Murtha Way told police she kept the $360 the undercover officer gave her at 7:15 p.m. Sunday at a car wash along Industrial Boulevard in Derry Township because the person, who offered to buy 30 stamp bags of heroin, owed her money, authorities said.
Thomas did not retrieve any heroin from a car that was waiting for her, and sped away in the car at a high rate of speed toward Latrobe, according to the affidavit the task force filed.
Thomas said she had asked her neighbor for a ride to meet the buyer at the Latrobe Skating Center on Ligonier Street.
Members of the Westmoreland County Drug Task Force said they confronted Thomas at her home, and she admitted taking the $360, according to the affidavit. Thomas claimed she gave money to her son, Scott M. Thomas Jr., 23, of the same address, and he hid it in a potted plant. However, officers recovered only $68 from the plant pot.
Tracey Thomas was charged with theft and receiving stolen property; her son was charged with tampering with evidence and receiving stolen property.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland County to auction guns, vehicles
- Westmoreland group gets pet oxygen masks for area fire departments
- State police trooper seriously hurt when hit by vehicle in East Huntingdon
- Herminie woman, 18, dies after car accident in Turkeytown
- Burglary, attempted assault at Rostraver bowling lanes investigated
- Fund set up for 4-year-old Meyersdale girl’s final expenses
- Razing of Monsour Medical Center in Jeannette within reach with $1M grant
- Unity zoning hearing board OKs variance for garage
- Youngwood to decide on solicitor
- Greensburg torture killer seeks reduction in sentence
- Rostraver woman, 91, injured in home invasion; 3 sought