Ligonier YMCA requests to get 2nd look
Ligonier Borough Council will hold a special meeting on Oct 29 in Town Hall regarding the Ligonier Valley YMCA's zoning requests to expand its facility along West Church Street.
“We're meeting to reconsider the two ordinances and see what the legal ramifications are regarding having rejected these two ordinances,” council President Robert Helterbran said on Wednesday.
On Oct. 7, council voted 4-3 to deny the requests, which proposed changing the zoning on two properties — from R-2, two-family residential, to C-2, general commercial — and to amend the zoning ordinance to allow surface parking lots as a conditional use.
Helterbran said the legal ramifications will be discussed in an executive session, and “if a re-vote needs or wants to be taken” concerning the two ordinances, council may do so since that portion of the meeting will be open to the public.
According to a public notice posted on the borough's website, anyone interested in speaking about the ordinances is invited to attend the meeting.
YMCA Chief Executive Officer Ben Wright said the YMCA has notified borough officials that it plans to appeal the rejection of the ordinances to Westmoreland County Common Pleas Court.
Wright said he is pleased that council is going to reconsider the two ordinances.
“We don't believe they took into consideration all of the information they had,” Wright said.
For more information, visit www.ligonierboro.com.
Nicole Chynoweth is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-850-2862 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coming off hill revives Seton Hill University, downtown Greensburg
- Mutual Aid plans fundraising throughout Westmoreland County to bolster member numbers
- Charges filed in stolen property investigation
- ‘Bride’ goes on at Geyer theater in Scottdale
- Westmoreland community leaders discuss how to meet hunger needs
- Latrobe pharmacy will offer overdose antidote
- 4 seek 3 nominations for Southwest Greensburg council
- Marathoner hit by vehicle in Murrysville recuperates
- Ligonier YMCA expansion back in court
- Seniors assured of continued access to Arnold Palmer Cancer Pavilion in Westmoreland County