Alleged assailant in New Stanton robbery, assault in custody
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013, 5:24 p.m.
A man who allegedly broke two beer bottles over another man's head during a robbery is in custody, state police said.
Malcolm Xavier Shepard, 23, address unknown, allegedly participated in the robbery of a 28-year-old West Newton man at the Howard Johnson motel in New Stanton in September, according to an affidavit of probable cause. Five assailants kicked, beat and stabbed the victim and took his wallet, which contained $2,700, police said.
The victim suffered cuts to his head and a cut to his back, police said, and the injuries required 17 staples.
During the investigation, police learned that one assailant had been called “Gunner” by another assailant. Police said the victim called and told them there was a photo of Gunner on the Facebook page of one assailant.
Police forwarded the photo to the Jeannette Police Department, who informed state police that the photo appeared to be Shepard. During an interview, two of the other alleged assailants confirmed Shepard was the one referred to as Gunner.
Shepard faces charges of robbery, conspiracy, aggravated assault, simple assault and harassment.
He was placed in Westmoreland County Prison and was unable to post bail Wednesday.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled on Nov. 6 before Scottdale District Judge Charles D. Moore.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Youngwood woman charged with selling heroin in Greensburg hospital
- 4 Franklin Regional students remain hospitalized for stab wounds
- Mt. Pleasant to save with energy-efficient lighting
- Norvelt man’s art on display at Seton Hill University’s gallery
- Westmoreland County shared ride program sees drop in usage
- Latrobe couple charged with shoving guard, stealing from Wal-Mart
- Scottdale center to host tribute to singing legends
- Failed inspection could make Jeannette flood-control project more costly
- None injured when car strikes school bus in Derry Township
- Bullskin Senior Center plans rummage sale