Former Hempfield teacher dies in crash
A retired Hempfield Area High School teacher has been identified as the man who died from injuries he suffered in a two-vehicle accident on Friday night at the intersection of Route 119 and Forbes Trail Road in Hempfield.
The victim, Ronald J. Ferretti, 66, of Jeannette, died of blunt force trauma of the trunk and extremities, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said on Sunday. Ferretti was pronounced dead at 12:25 a.m. Saturday at Forbes Regional Hospital in Monroeville, the medical examiner said.
Ferretti was fatally injured when his southbound car on Route 119 was struck by a 36-year-old Mt. Pleasant man's sport utility vehicle that was traveling eastbound on Forbes Trail Road, state police at Greensburg said. The Mt. Pleasant man's vehicle did not stop at a stop sign and drove into the intersection with Route 119, hitting Ferretti's vehicle, police said.
One passenger in the Mt. Pleasant man's SUV was flown to UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh, and another passenger in the same vehicle was transported to Excela Westmoreland Hospital in Greensburg, police said.
State police did not release the identities of the Mt. Pleasant man driving the sport utility vehicle or the passengers in the vehicle.
Ferretti was a graduate of Hempfield Area High School, where he played football. He received his bachelor's degree in education at California State University. He taught in the high school math department.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Fundraising under way for Indiana County newborn struck by stray bullet
- Somerset County man arrested after loaded gun found at Baltimore airport
- Police: Jeannette woman tried to steal family’s safe
- Attorney seeks dismissal of charge in Salem wreck that killed mother, unborn child
- Greensburg artist follows unusual path to creative career
- No relief in sight for Westmoreland transit passengers
- Thousands attend Mt. Pleasant Glass and Ethnic Festival
- Hribal will be transferred to Allegheny County psychiatric facility
- Hempfield public works director’s job in limbo
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after Derry Twp. crash