Richeyville couple remain in hospital after hitting trooper's vehicle
A Washington County couple remained in a Pittsburgh hospital on Monday for treatment of injuries they suffered late Saturday when their sport utility vehicle collided with an unmarked state police patrol car that swerved along Route 30 in Unity to avoid hitting a deer.
State police in Greensburg said the 32-year-old trooper was heading eastbound when his car went over a concrete median into the westbound lanes of traffic.
He was treated at Forbes Regional Hospital in Monroeville for non-life-threatening injuries after the 11:45 p.m. crash.
Trooper Jordan Spallone, who investigated the accident, did not identify the trooper involved in a report about the crash, but the officer reportedly is assigned to the Greensburg barracks.
The injured couple were identified as James Brooks, 30, and Jennifer Barckhoff, 32, both of Richeyville.
Both initially were treated at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital in Greensburg and then transferred to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh for treatment of internal injuries.
According to state police, the trooper was driving a Ford Crown Victoria in the passing lane of Route 30 East, just west of Mountain View Inn, when an injured deer entered his lane of travel.
Spallone reported the trooper swerved left “to avoid impact with the deer” and traveled over the concrete median. Police said the patrol car rotated counterclockwise as it went over the barrier and landed in the westbound lanes facing west.
The rear of the patrol car was then struck by Brooks' westbound 2013 Kia Soul.
Police said no one will be cited in the accident.
No further information was available from police.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Drones hover at top of holiday wish lists
- Family collecting donations for Salem man seriously injured in deer stand fall
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Contractor eyes early finish to work on New Stanton interchange of Interstate 70
- Greensburg streetlights to be updated, save city $90K
- Harrold Middle School students hit new high with food drive
- 2 Greensburg properties left on demo list
- Westmoreland County Judge Regoli has 5 days to decide on whether he’ll ask for recount