Greensburg Aerobic Center manager hopes to step up Christmas fundraiser
Marianne Anzovino, Greensburg Aerobic Center general manager, hopes to inspire her members to get involved in helping soldiers once again.
She wants them to take part in Operation Christmas Stocking, sponsored by the Barnhart Funeral Home, East Pittsburgh Street in Greensburg.
A few years ago, about 200 aerobic center members stuffed stockings for soldiers overseas, Anzovino said. The number has declined since.
“We really need people to do this,” Anzovino said.
The funeral home at 505 E. Pittsburgh St. will hand out stockings between Wednesday and Nov. 27.
Participants stuff the stockings with recommended items such as socks, small reading materials, lotions and greeting cards and return them to the funeral home by Dec. 2.
The funeral home will send the stuffed stockings to soldiers in Afghanistan in time for Christmas, Jeff Barnhart said.
Over the past four years, the funeral home has sent about 4,000 stockings to soldiers, he said.
“We often get kind words, tears, especially from those with family as soldiers,” Barnhart said. “It's been very well received.”
Anzovino said she plans to put stockings at the front desk of the fitness center and take them to classes.
She attributed the decline in center involvement to people believing the war is over in the Middle East, when it's not.
“Everybody should be doing it,” Anzovino said. “They love the care packages.”
The funeral home is glad to help, Barnhart said.
“We've just always had vets on the top of our minds, and we're pleased to be able to do this for them,” he said.
Bob Stiles is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Derry Township man killed in ATV crash
- Record-holding female motorcyclist to speak at Lincoln Highway event
- Renovations a go on historic La Rose building in downtown Greensburg
- Survey finds no clear fix to achieving racial diversity in Westmoreland County
- Prison becomes detox center for growing number of inmates with addictions
- Westmoreland County Animal Response Team seeks money for new space
- Westmoreland County Fair doubles as meet-and-greet for candidates
- Ligonier equine facility breaks ground
- Greensburg man charged with terroristic threats
- Megan’s List offender charged with assault on 10-year-old Latrobe girl
- Children honor late Ligonier Township officer at Westmoreland Fair