Mt. Pleasant Area School Board accepts member's resignation
By Rachel Basinger
Published: Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013, 6:44 p.m.
Members of the Mt. Pleasant Area School Board accepted the resignation of Director Edward Malone at their board meeting on Monday night.
“He resigned because of health reasons, but he will be missed,” Board President Robert Gumbita said. “He did a fine job serving, and we wish him the best.
At last week's meeting, Gumbita said the board would advertise the position, and those interested can pick up a packet, fill out the information and return it.
The board has 30 days under the law to appoint someone.
The board passed a motion to set the reorganization and general purpose meeting for 7 p.m. Dec. 4. Directors plan to wait until after the meeting to appoint someone to fill Malone's position, when new board members will be sworn in.
Malone filled the role of board secretary, so directors appointed Director Rick Albright to that position.
Directors passed a resolution to hire an interim business manager.
Gumbita said business manager Tim Caudill is in the hospital with a serious condition.
“We're not sure when or if he'll be available to come back, so we're going to have to look for some outside help to get us through,” Gumbita said.
Directors agreed to allow the administration to choose an individual for the position and to allow the superintendent and board president to set the salary.
Directors approved the Consumer Gas Agreement between the district and Kriebel Minerals Inc.
Gumbita said there is a gas well on district property, and district officials hope to begin using the allotted 350,000 cubic feet of free gas.
“We installed piping to the swimming pool and the cafeteria, so this will be an agreement for us to begin utilizing our free gas and any used above our allowance to be at a reduced cost,” he said.
In other business, directors:
• Accepted a grant from Scottdale Bank & Trust in the amount of $55,000, which is about $15,000 more than last year. What the money will be used for has yet to be determined.
• Accepted the resignations of Amanda Laskey as junior high track coach, Bill Barber as eighth-grade boys basketball coach and Lee Smith as ninth-grade baseball coach.
• Approved Lauren Shaheen as head girls softball coach, Bill Barber as junior high track coach, Sherry Kring as eighth-grade boys basketball coach, Ty Holler as ninth-grade baseball coach and Sean Cartwright as assistant swimming coach.
• Granted tenure to Vanessa Kolberg (secondary English) and Rachel Long (elementary special education/gifted).
Rachel Basinger is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Hempfield couple charged in thefts
- Westmoreland County Controller Balzer, IRS at odds
- No apology from Greensburg driver in DUI death
- Ligonier man charged with harassing estranged wife
- Mt. Pleasant Area School District looks to hire assistant superintendent
- Donegal American Legion Post 941 helps nonprofits
- Man charged with pointing gun at woman in Rostraver
- Mt. Pleasant Rotary makes donations to community organizations
- Penn-Trafford board promotes Inglese
- Greensburg City Council fights zoning board ruling
- Yukon Pet Adoption League, founder settle spat