Mt. Pleasant Area School Board accepts member's resignation
Members of the Mt. Pleasant Area School Board accepted the resignation of Director Edward Malone at their board meeting on Monday night.
“He resigned because of health reasons, but he will be missed,” Board President Robert Gumbita said. “He did a fine job serving, and we wish him the best.
At last week's meeting, Gumbita said the board would advertise the position, and those interested can pick up a packet, fill out the information and return it.
The board has 30 days under the law to appoint someone.
The board passed a motion to set the reorganization and general purpose meeting for 7 p.m. Dec. 4. Directors plan to wait until after the meeting to appoint someone to fill Malone's position, when new board members will be sworn in.
Malone filled the role of board secretary, so directors appointed Director Rick Albright to that position.
Directors passed a resolution to hire an interim business manager.
Gumbita said business manager Tim Caudill is in the hospital with a serious condition.
“We're not sure when or if he'll be available to come back, so we're going to have to look for some outside help to get us through,” Gumbita said.
Directors agreed to allow the administration to choose an individual for the position and to allow the superintendent and board president to set the salary.
Directors approved the Consumer Gas Agreement between the district and Kriebel Minerals Inc.
Gumbita said there is a gas well on district property, and district officials hope to begin using the allotted 350,000 cubic feet of free gas.
“We installed piping to the swimming pool and the cafeteria, so this will be an agreement for us to begin utilizing our free gas and any used above our allowance to be at a reduced cost,” he said.
In other business, directors:
• Accepted a grant from Scottdale Bank & Trust in the amount of $55,000, which is about $15,000 more than last year. What the money will be used for has yet to be determined.
• Accepted the resignations of Amanda Laskey as junior high track coach, Bill Barber as eighth-grade boys basketball coach and Lee Smith as ninth-grade baseball coach.
• Approved Lauren Shaheen as head girls softball coach, Bill Barber as junior high track coach, Sherry Kring as eighth-grade boys basketball coach, Ty Holler as ninth-grade baseball coach and Sean Cartwright as assistant swimming coach.
• Granted tenure to Vanessa Kolberg (secondary English) and Rachel Long (elementary special education/gifted).
Rachel Basinger is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show
- Woman sought in robbery in Unity
- Westmoreland County, state AG to get funds from illegal lottery
- Grease in Youngwood sewer system prompts another look at rule
- Jeannette man pleads guilty to attempting to entice child in Louisiana
- Man charged in New Stanton Sunoco robbery
- Clelian Heights parents rally to keep program put in jeopardy by new federal rule
- West Newton will consider temporary road after train accident cut off neighborhood
- Westmoreland jail guard accused of selling illegal steroids
- No hike in tentative Scottdale budget
- Man taken to hospital from scene of Hempfield house fire