Lawsuit linked to stabbing at Hempfield lounge
A Herminie man injured in a bar stabbing two years ago has sued the Hempfield restaurant where the attack occurred, alleging that the business did a poor job of protecting its customers.
Chaz Bazzo, 26, filed a three-count lawsuit in Westmoreland County Common Pleas Court last week against Rodney's Lounge and a Pittsburgh man convicted of stabbing him on Nov. 26, 2011.
Davon Darnell Evans, 23, of the Hill District was sentenced by Judge Debra Pezze to a prison term of 6 to 20 years.
Evans pleaded guilty in August 2012 to charges of aggravated assault and other offenses for stabbing John Daniel Walsh at Hi-Way Playground on July 23, 2011, and Corey Frohnhoffer and Bazzo at Rodney's on Nov. 26, 2011.
In the lawsuit, Bazzo contends that Rodney's employees knew that Evans was intoxicated and they should not have continued to serve him alcohol.
Bazzo claims that Rodney's workers were incapable of providing proper security and that the restaurant was negligent because it allowed violent people on its premises.
The restaurant failed to properly staff its business with a sufficient number of bouncers and did not take preventative measures such as installing metal detectors, according to the lawsuit.
A manager at Rodney's, who declined to be identified, said on Tuesday that he could not comment on the allegations.
According to police, Evans touched the buttocks of a female patron, causing Bazzo and Frohnhoffer, 24, to intervene.
Frohnhoffer, of Pittsburgh, was cut in the face, and Bazzo was stabbed in the head and abdomen, according to police.
Rich Cholodofsky is a staff writer forTrib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police: Penn Township man was ‘lonely,’ so he called 911
- Donegal Township families fight driller to get clean water
- Ex-assistant at Penn-Trafford pleads guilty to sending inappropriate texts
- Latrobe school directors won’t forgive bill for WCCC land
- Greensburg finalizes deal to provide sign language interpreter for soccer program
- Walker: Scottdale Fall Festival kicks off this weekend
- 40-year-old Latrobe woman used boy, 13, for sex, drugs, police say
- Podlucky mansion in Ligonier Township will go to sheriff’s sale
- Ligonier Township man jailed in alleged assault of police chief
- Police investigate Hempfield fight
- Seton Hill ‘tops off’ new dance center with ceremony