Newsmaker: Jeff L. Samide
Family: Wife, Norma, 62, Manager at Latrobe Area Hospital Charitable Foundation; daughter, Rosie, 21
Residence: Mt. Pleasant Township, Westmoreland County
Noteworthy: Samide recently received the 2013 Distinguished Alumni Scholar Award from Indiana University of Pennsylvania's College of Education and Educational Technology.
Occupation: Associate Professor of Counselor Education at California University of Pennsylvania
Education: Samide earned his bachelor's degree in Sociology from Saint Vincent College in 1977; his Masters of Education in Counseling with certification in Elementary School Counseling in 1979 and his Doctor of Education in Counseling in 1990, both from IUP.
Background: Samide became interested in counseling when he was a student at Saint Vincent College and worked part time as a mental health assistant in the inpatient unit of Latrobe Area Hospital. He is a psychotherapist and clinical consultant with more than 35 years of experience, and has testified as an expert witness more than 200 times in Pennsylvania courts.
Quote: “This award is as much an endorsement of the high quality educational experiences that can be found at IUP and throughout Western Pennsylvania, as it is a recognition of my work. I am honored to be chosen and I am eager to continue earning it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fay-West food banks feeling hunger pains
- Flight 93 memorial fire hints at struggle to safeguard historic artifacts
- DEP orders cleanup of former Jeannette Glass property to resume
- The real Captain Phillips brings story of piracy to St. Vincent College
- Physicist found joy in family, friends, work, wine
- Missing Southwest Greensburg man found dead at crash site in Bell
- Route 217 bridge across Loyalhanna Creek reopens early
- Southwest Greensburg man died of injuries in accident in Bell
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of abusing position, viewing porn on the job
- Laurel Mountain State Park ski plans will go to Ligonier Township supervisors
- Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County upgrades emergency communications plan