Mt. Pleasant woman recovering after being hit by SUV in parking lot
A Mt. Pleasant woman remains hospitalized in good condition after she suffered serious injuries last week when she was struck by a vehicle in a parking lot in the borough, a family member said on Monday.
Anna Mae Frazier, 71, was walking across the parking lot of the Valero service station at 937 W. Main St. at 11:49 a.m. Wednesday when she was hit by a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe sport utility vehicle driven by Samuel A. Keefer, 45, of Mt. Pleasant, according to police Chief Stephen Ober.
Keefer was backing up at the time, the report states. He told police he looked three times but did not see Frazier and that she must have been in his blind spot.
Frazier told police she was walking through the lot and saw Keefer's SUV but could not get out of the way fast enough, according to the police report.
Store owner Naveed Chowdhry said he was tending to customers inside the business at the time when he was told about the accident.
“I called 911,” Chowdhry said.
When police arrived, Frazier was lying in the parking lot, covered with a blanket, the report states.
She was assisted by several people, including a woman who said she is a nurse, said Wayne “Butch” Baldwin, 58, Frazier's brother.
“We don't know who the people were, but we would like to thank them,” Baldwin said. “They put a blanket on her, and the nurse waited until an ambulance got there.”
Frazier is a regular customer at the store, which is just down the street from her apartment building, said Baldwin, who also lives there.
“She is like a mother to me,” he said. “I'm the second-youngest out of 14 brothers and sisters.”
Frazier was flown to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, Baldwin said. She had a heart attack and bleeding in the brain, he said.
Baldwin said he and Frazier lost a sister, Betty Jean Bowser, 73, who died Sept. 5 from third-degree burns she suffered in an apartment fire on Aug. 16 at Huntingdon Village in Hunker.
“There are only seven of us left now,” Baldwin said.
The report filed by Ober states that Keefer was not charged.
A.J. Panian is an editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-547-5722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Derry Township assault suspect arrested
- Entrapment, injury reported in Derry Township accident
- Westmoreland County Prison to start video visits
- Mt. Pleasant customers to see sewage bills increase
- No foul play ruled in Westmoreland County train death
- Fayette City man shoots himself before police could take him into custody
- Jeannette resident, 83, no longer teaches dance, still shows how it’s done
- Jeannette officials diverge on fiscal outlook
- More than 100 participate in Scottdale triathlon
- Mt. Pleasant Relay for Life participants unfazed by rain
- St. Vincent gets ready for July 26 kickoff of 49th annual Steelers training camp