Scammers reported at 2 Westmoreland homes
Authorities believe two men may be responsible for two scams on Thursday in Westmoreland County in which a man diverted the attention of a homeowner while a second went inside and ransacked the residence.
State police at Kiski said the thieves left with $9,000 from a New Alexandria home.
Trooper Stephen Limani said the incidents occurred about one hour apart, about 3 and 4 p.m., the first in Lower Burrell and the second in New Alexandria.
A Lower Burrell homeowner told police that two men carrying portable radios got out of a white van and claimed to be working for the New Kensington Water Authority.
Police said once the resident was outside the home, the other man entered and searched for valuables. Police said the Lower Burrell homeowner doesn't believe anything was taken.
The second case occurred about 4:11 p.m. at a New Alexandria home and also involved two men traveling in a white van, Limani said.
As one man distracted the elderly homeowner and her daughter, bringing them onto a porch where they discussed cutting nearby trees, a second man entered the home through another door. Police said he stole a red purse containing cash.
Police said the pair then fled in an unknown direction.
Anyone with information is asked to call state police at Kiski at 724-727-3434 or Lower Burrell police at 724-339-4287.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland County Common Pleas candidates differ on judicial retirement age
- WCCC fraternity helps fallen Ligonier officer’s family
- Police, the Diamond top Ligonier Borough issues
- Jeannette considers trash fee increases
- Mt. Pleasant board looks at refinancing
- Ligonier Valley takes proactive financial steps amid state budget stalemate
- West Newton officials, code officer clear the air
- Greensburg grocer Charley esteemed for his charity work
- Navigating college financial aid options pays off
- Greensburg council OKs purchase of firetruck
- Former Mich. lawmaker uses D.C. trip to lobby for veterans health care