Fox's Pizza to hold fundraiser for ill Scottdale native
• Fox's Pizza Den, 145 Pittsburgh St., Scottdale, will hold a fundraiser for Scottdale native Jim Faris. The business will donate 20 percent of everyone's total bill to Faris on purchases made from 3 to 10 p.m. Monday and Tuesday. All anyone has to do is mention “Jim Faris” or bring in the flyer that describes the fundraiser. Faris is battling acute myeloid leukemia, a cancer of the bone marrow.
• The Friends of the Library will meet at 6:30 tonight in the Scottdale Public Library, Spring Street. New members are always welcome. For more information, call 724-887-6140.
• Scottdale volunteer firefighters will sell hoagies this weekend. Please support our area firefighters.
• Everson Borough Council will hold its reorganization meeting 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Everson Borough Building, Brown Street.
• The Hearts and Hands Quilt Guild will meet 7 p.m. Jan. 9 at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 600 Mulberry St., Scottdale. New members are welcome. For information about this club, call 724-887-4682.
• St. Vincent College Office of Admission and Financial Aid has announced plans for an upcoming Get Acquainted Day Open House for prospective students and their families to be held Jan. 18. Day will include a tour of the campus by student volunteers and an opportunity to meet with faculty of various academic departments and programs at this 167-year-old Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college. Day will begin with registration from 8:30 to 9 a.m. in the Fred M. Rogers Center and will conclude at noon. To register or for more details, call 800-782-5549, fax 724-805-2953, e-mail email@example.com or register at www.stvincent.edu/visit.
• Sheila Suhan of Scottdale took second place for her Easy Caprese Pizza Bake in the 46th Pillsbury Bake-Off contest in Las Vegas. She was awarded $10,000 and General Electric kitchen appliances, valued at $3,000, for her accomplishment. All contestants received a GE microwave oven. Suhan's sister-in-law and best friend, Doris Rizza, accompanied her. Scottdale is proud of what you have accomplished.
• A local girl who received a 2013 4-H Memorial Scholarship is Lauren Alexandra Androstic of Scottdale. She is a 10-year member of the Covered Bridge 4-H Club. She also has been a part of the Travel-All Exchange Club, and is the current president of the Junior Horse Show Committee and the 4-H Teen Leadership Council. She has presented at the All American Youth Horse Council Symposium and participated in the Eastern National Horse Roundup in Kentucky. She plans to attend Westmoreland County Community College in Youngwood to pursue a career as a radiographer.
• It's a new year and volunteers are needed for the Scottdale and Mt. Pleasant area to support the local Girl Scout community. Those interested in leading or co-leading a local troop, email local membership manager Jaime Peticca at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Pittsburgh Penguins fans, here are the upcoming home games and times: Friday at 7 p.m., New York Rangers; Sunday at 1 p.m., Winnipeg; Jan. 15 at 8 p.m., Washington; Jan. 20 at 7 p.m., Florida; Jan. 22 at 7 p.m., Montreal; and Jan. 27 at 7:30 p.m., Buffalo. Get your tickets at www.pittsburghpenguins.com. Good luck, team.
• Nominate a positive athlete before the March 28 deadline for a chance to win over $10,000 in scholarships from baseball through wrestling. For more information, email email@example.com.
• Readers age 65 and older can obtain a free bus pass by calling 800-242-2706 for a senior transportation application. Call the number above for a Medical Assistance Card application. For more information, call 724-830-4444 or 800-442-8000 or visit www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/aging.
• A big thank you to Shirley Eckman for being the Everson tax collector for a number of years. Your service was appreciated.
• The Scottdale Senior Citizens organization meets at 11 a.m. the first Tuesday of the month at the Scottdale Firemen's social hall, 405 Porter Ave. Enjoy lunch and fellowship. For more information, call Pat Etling at 724-628-8509.
• Christmas tree recycling can be accomplished through Jan. 31 by taking your tree to the Greenridge Reclamation Landfill, 234 Landfill Road, Scottdale, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays; closed weekends. Trees must be stripped of decorations. For more information, call 724-836-4129. This is sponsored by Westmoreland Cleanways.
• Well readers, we are into the new year of 2014. Some of you have made resolutions you hope to keep and I hope you can accomplish this. Try showing additional love to family and friends and each day decide to say one kind thing to someone. It will make you feel great.
Enjoy the winter weather.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hempfield man serving life without parole for killing wife tells judge he’ll pay restitution when he’s released
- Extremes in weather hurt crops in Westmoreland
- Sutersville ready to sell former church
- Death row inmate Smyrnes claims isolation cruel and unusual punishment in Westmoreland County case
- Man charged with hitting girlfriend with car in East Huntingdon reaches plea agreement
- Scottdale chamber’s Community Yard Sale to be held Saturday
- Police: Scottdale man had child porn on computer
- Sewickley Twp. man who received food stamps didn’t disclose gas royalties
- Greensburg Police officer taking job in Harmar
- Youngwood playground found to be in violation of disability act again
- Hempfield joins county land bank