Fox's Pizza to hold fundraiser for ill Scottdale native
By Patricia Walker
Published: Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014, 12:01 a.m.
• Fox's Pizza Den, 145 Pittsburgh St., Scottdale, will hold a fundraiser for Scottdale native Jim Faris. The business will donate 20 percent of everyone's total bill to Faris on purchases made from 3 to 10 p.m. Monday and Tuesday. All anyone has to do is mention “Jim Faris” or bring in the flyer that describes the fundraiser. Faris is battling acute myeloid leukemia, a cancer of the bone marrow.
• The Friends of the Library will meet at 6:30 tonight in the Scottdale Public Library, Spring Street. New members are always welcome. For more information, call 724-887-6140.
• Scottdale volunteer firefighters will sell hoagies this weekend. Please support our area firefighters.
• Everson Borough Council will hold its reorganization meeting 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Everson Borough Building, Brown Street.
• The Hearts and Hands Quilt Guild will meet 7 p.m. Jan. 9 at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 600 Mulberry St., Scottdale. New members are welcome. For information about this club, call 724-887-4682.
• St. Vincent College Office of Admission and Financial Aid has announced plans for an upcoming Get Acquainted Day Open House for prospective students and their families to be held Jan. 18. Day will include a tour of the campus by student volunteers and an opportunity to meet with faculty of various academic departments and programs at this 167-year-old Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college. Day will begin with registration from 8:30 to 9 a.m. in the Fred M. Rogers Center and will conclude at noon. To register or for more details, call 800-782-5549, fax 724-805-2953, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or register at www.stvincent.edu/visit.
• Sheila Suhan of Scottdale took second place for her Easy Caprese Pizza Bake in the 46th Pillsbury Bake-Off contest in Las Vegas. She was awarded $10,000 and General Electric kitchen appliances, valued at $3,000, for her accomplishment. All contestants received a GE microwave oven. Suhan's sister-in-law and best friend, Doris Rizza, accompanied her. Scottdale is proud of what you have accomplished.
• A local girl who received a 2013 4-H Memorial Scholarship is Lauren Alexandra Androstic of Scottdale. She is a 10-year member of the Covered Bridge 4-H Club. She also has been a part of the Travel-All Exchange Club, and is the current president of the Junior Horse Show Committee and the 4-H Teen Leadership Council. She has presented at the All American Youth Horse Council Symposium and participated in the Eastern National Horse Roundup in Kentucky. She plans to attend Westmoreland County Community College in Youngwood to pursue a career as a radiographer.
• It's a new year and volunteers are needed for the Scottdale and Mt. Pleasant area to support the local Girl Scout community. Those interested in leading or co-leading a local troop, email local membership manager Jaime Peticca at email@example.com.
• Pittsburgh Penguins fans, here are the upcoming home games and times: Friday at 7 p.m., New York Rangers; Sunday at 1 p.m., Winnipeg; Jan. 15 at 8 p.m., Washington; Jan. 20 at 7 p.m., Florida; Jan. 22 at 7 p.m., Montreal; and Jan. 27 at 7:30 p.m., Buffalo. Get your tickets at www.pittsburghpenguins.com. Good luck, team.
• Nominate a positive athlete before the March 28 deadline for a chance to win over $10,000 in scholarships from baseball through wrestling. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Readers age 65 and older can obtain a free bus pass by calling 800-242-2706 for a senior transportation application. Call the number above for a Medical Assistance Card application. For more information, call 724-830-4444 or 800-442-8000 or visit www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/aging.
• A big thank you to Shirley Eckman for being the Everson tax collector for a number of years. Your service was appreciated.
• The Scottdale Senior Citizens organization meets at 11 a.m. the first Tuesday of the month at the Scottdale Firemen's social hall, 405 Porter Ave. Enjoy lunch and fellowship. For more information, call Pat Etling at 724-628-8509.
• Christmas tree recycling can be accomplished through Jan. 31 by taking your tree to the Greenridge Reclamation Landfill, 234 Landfill Road, Scottdale, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays; closed weekends. Trees must be stripped of decorations. For more information, call 724-836-4129. This is sponsored by Westmoreland Cleanways.
• Well readers, we are into the new year of 2014. Some of you have made resolutions you hope to keep and I hope you can accomplish this. Try showing additional love to family and friends and each day decide to say one kind thing to someone. It will make you feel great.
Enjoy the winter weather.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Greensburg woman accused of assaulting nurse in Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital
- Greensburg bishop’s time at helm draws to a close
- Fuel spill discovered on Loyalhanna Creek
- Jeannette to use grant to secure Monsour
- Unity woman loses appeal of DUI conviction
- Indiana police say man dealing heroin
- Pittsburgh man charged with threat to witness
- Judge to Cook Township drug suspect: Get new friends