Attempted robber flees Derry store after toy gun breaks
The attempted robbery Thursday of a convenience store in Derry Township was thwarted by a customer who unwittingly discovered the robber was using a toy gun, state police at Greensburg said.
Police said a man entered the convenience store about 1 a.m. and threatened the clerk with what appeared to be a handgun.
Police said a customer in the store began struggling with the gunman and during the struggle the robber's toy gun, which resembled an automatic rifle, broke.
Trooper Stephen Limani said the gunman, wearing a dark blue or black sweatshirt over a light blue hooded jacket and blue gloves, then fled the store on foot empty-handed.
Anyone with information is asked to telephone state police at Greensburg at 724-832-3288.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Videotaping suspect from Greensburg doesn’t show at hearing
- Belle Vernon girls showed signs of being abused, doctor testifies
- Yukon kennel founder jailed for allegedly threatening workers
- No injuries after Greensburg Salem school bus accident in Murrysville
- 2 escape injury when plane slides into Westmoreland County airport
- Arnold man sentenced after sexual assault conviction
- New Stanton breaks ground on municipal building
- North Huntingdon man found in Virginia, police say
- St. Michael’s volunteers cook up festival delights
- Fayette County parents charged with endangering children, cruelty to animals
- Greater Latrobe-Laurel Valley Community Chamber of Commerce to honor Arnie’s pal ‘Doc’