Attempted robber flees Derry store after toy gun breaks
The attempted robbery Thursday of a convenience store in Derry Township was thwarted by a customer who unwittingly discovered the robber was using a toy gun, state police at Greensburg said.
Police said a man entered the convenience store about 1 a.m. and threatened the clerk with what appeared to be a handgun.
Police said a customer in the store began struggling with the gunman and during the struggle the robber's toy gun, which resembled an automatic rifle, broke.
Trooper Stephen Limani said the gunman, wearing a dark blue or black sweatshirt over a light blue hooded jacket and blue gloves, then fled the store on foot empty-handed.
Anyone with information is asked to telephone state police at Greensburg at 724-832-3288.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Derry Township auto shop owner finds theft suspect hiding inside
- New Derry woman charged after mail delivery of 4 pounds of marijuana
- Ligonier Township residents voice concern to supervisors about new zoning ordinance
- Salem man, in lockup in Greensburg shooting, charged with threatening to kill prison guard
- Youngwood advances grease trap ordinance
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- 2 accused of taking baby to New Kensington drug deal get probation
- Tanker crash closes lane of Turnpike in Penn Township
- Electricity deal eyed for Latrobe
- ‘Murder on the Nile’ at Geyer this weekend
- Hempfield votes to fill public works job with interim director Cisco