Attempted robber flees Derry store after toy gun breaks
The attempted robbery Thursday of a convenience store in Derry Township was thwarted by a customer who unwittingly discovered the robber was using a toy gun, state police at Greensburg said.
Police said a man entered the convenience store about 1 a.m. and threatened the clerk with what appeared to be a handgun.
Police said a customer in the store began struggling with the gunman and during the struggle the robber's toy gun, which resembled an automatic rifle, broke.
Trooper Stephen Limani said the gunman, wearing a dark blue or black sweatshirt over a light blue hooded jacket and blue gloves, then fled the store on foot empty-handed.
Anyone with information is asked to telephone state police at Greensburg at 724-832-3288.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hempfield train crash search called off; no evidence found
- Online donors help Hempfield teen whose wallet was stolen
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Numerous Westmoreland communities to observe Memorial Day
- ‘Dope sick’ man in custody in Mt. Pleasant stick-up
- Westmoreland County Blind Association building brimming with activity
- Travel restrictions to be lifted on Route 30 in Hempfield
- Man killed after car leaves Route 819, veers through East Huntington parking lot
- Sewickley Township agrees to lease for land for playground
- Arnold man could get resisting arrest charge dismissed
- Greensburg, Youngwood pools opening for the season May 30