Attempted robber flees Derry store after toy gun breaks
The attempted robbery Thursday of a convenience store in Derry Township was thwarted by a customer who unwittingly discovered the robber was using a toy gun, state police at Greensburg said.
Police said a man entered the convenience store about 1 a.m. and threatened the clerk with what appeared to be a handgun.
Police said a customer in the store began struggling with the gunman and during the struggle the robber's toy gun, which resembled an automatic rifle, broke.
Trooper Stephen Limani said the gunman, wearing a dark blue or black sweatshirt over a light blue hooded jacket and blue gloves, then fled the store on foot empty-handed.
Anyone with information is asked to telephone state police at Greensburg at 724-832-3288.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying
- Couple files lawsuit claiming Ruffsdale Gun Club contaminates soil, water
- Ligonier Township business will have to control grease
- Gibsonia film producer makes documentary about female troops serving in war
- Walker: Scottdale Association’s Good Friday service site changes to Trinity church
- Greensburg Salem school board discusses stricter anti-nepotism policy
- Youngwood aims to reduce amount that ends up in sewage treatment facility
- Residents warned after incidents with bottles rigged to explode on Jeannette streets
- Fire marshal probes cause of blaze that destroyed vacant Derry Township house
- Westmoreland judge offers Court in the Classroom
- Mt. Pleasant known for backing military, glass industries, health care