Attempted robber flees Derry store after toy gun breaks
The attempted robbery Thursday of a convenience store in Derry Township was thwarted by a customer who unwittingly discovered the robber was using a toy gun, state police at Greensburg said.
Police said a man entered the convenience store about 1 a.m. and threatened the clerk with what appeared to be a handgun.
Police said a customer in the store began struggling with the gunman and during the struggle the robber's toy gun, which resembled an automatic rifle, broke.
Trooper Stephen Limani said the gunman, wearing a dark blue or black sweatshirt over a light blue hooded jacket and blue gloves, then fled the store on foot empty-handed.
Anyone with information is asked to telephone state police at Greensburg at 724-832-3288.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Route 217 bridge across Loyalhanna Creek reopens early
- Southwest Greensburg man died of injuries in accident in Bell
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- Missing Southwest Greensburg man found dead at crash site in Bell
- WCCC changes dual-enrollment policy
- The real Captain Phillips brings story of piracy to St. Vincent College
- Redstone gets $90K grant for safety upgrade
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of abusing position, viewing porn on the job
- Mt. Pleasant man injured when tractor hit by vehicle
- $10K grants will help people purchase homes in Monessen
- Physicist found joy in family, friends, work, wine