Attempted robber flees Derry store after toy gun breaks
The attempted robbery Thursday of a convenience store in Derry Township was thwarted by a customer who unwittingly discovered the robber was using a toy gun, state police at Greensburg said.
Police said a man entered the convenience store about 1 a.m. and threatened the clerk with what appeared to be a handgun.
Police said a customer in the store began struggling with the gunman and during the struggle the robber's toy gun, which resembled an automatic rifle, broke.
Trooper Stephen Limani said the gunman, wearing a dark blue or black sweatshirt over a light blue hooded jacket and blue gloves, then fled the store on foot empty-handed.
Anyone with information is asked to telephone state police at Greensburg at 724-832-3288.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT meeting to review changes to I-70 interchange at New Stanton
- Jeannette teen, charged with killing another, took ‘selfie’ with body, court papers say
- Mt. Pleasant council delays hiring chief
- Firefighters called to Clay Avenue in Jeannette
- Unity lawyer to vie for Westmoreland County judgeship
- Excela center proposal worries residents of Hempfield neighborhood
- Fast-growing Americans for Prosperity opens location in Greensburg
- Sale of former SCI Greensburg prison to advance despite lawmakers’ objections