Attempted robber flees Derry store after toy gun breaks
The attempted robbery Thursday of a convenience store in Derry Township was thwarted by a customer who unwittingly discovered the robber was using a toy gun, state police at Greensburg said.
Police said a man entered the convenience store about 1 a.m. and threatened the clerk with what appeared to be a handgun.
Police said a customer in the store began struggling with the gunman and during the struggle the robber's toy gun, which resembled an automatic rifle, broke.
Trooper Stephen Limani said the gunman, wearing a dark blue or black sweatshirt over a light blue hooded jacket and blue gloves, then fled the store on foot empty-handed.
Anyone with information is asked to telephone state police at Greensburg at 724-832-3288.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Fundraising under way for Indiana County newborn struck by stray bullet
- Attorney seeks dismissal of charge in Salem wreck that killed mother, unborn child
- Police: Jeannette woman tried to steal family’s safe
- Thousands attend Mt. Pleasant Glass and Ethnic Festival
- Greensburg artist follows unusual path to creative career
- Hribal will be transferred to Allegheny County psychiatric facility
- No relief in sight for Westmoreland transit passengers
- 3 confirmed cases of MRSA in Ligonier school district
- 3 face charges for drugs, weapons after arrest in North Huntingdon
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after Derry Twp. crash