Bullskin VFD to hold discount food sale at station on Saturday
• Bullskin Township Volunteer Fire Department will hold a discount food sale at its fire station on Saturday, beginning at 9 a.m.; doors open at 8:30. The event will feature meats, cheeses and other food items at discounted prices. There is a great selection from which to choose. Partial proceeds from the sales will go to the fire department. Sales are on a “cash only” basis.
• Visitation Finance Council will host an all-you-can-eat pancake, egg and sausage breakfast from 8 a.m. to noon Sunday at the Church Community Center, Walnut Street. Buckwheat cakes will be available. Cost for the home-cooked meal will be: adults, $6; children age 10 and younger, $3; free for toddlers age 3 and younger. Tickets will be sold at the door. Takeout will be available.
• If you are following a diet without gluten, you'll want to attend the January Gluten-Free Living meeting at Herbalicious. You will learn and there will be discussion on the latest in tests, studies and research concerning celiac disease and gluten-free diets. You'll get to sample new products, interact with others who eat gluten-free and hear techniques to better deal with a gluten-free diet. In addition, those who attend will receive a 10 percent off coupon for their next store visit. Herbalicious is located at 612 W. Main St., Mt. Pleasant. The meeting begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday and the store will be open for your shopping convenience. There is no fee to attend. All interested parties are invited; call 724-542-9745 to register.
• For those of you with live Christmas trees, tree recycling is offered again in the borough. Trees can be dropped off at the borough compost site between Kennedy Avenue and North Depot Street from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays through Jan. 31.
• The Mt. Pleasant Glass Museum is located in the old Lenox Crystal building. Hours of operation are 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. It's very impressive, so stop out when you get the chance. The museum is now accepting new members for 2014 — for only a small fee, you can become a part of this wonderful addition to Mt. Pleasant. Stop by today for a form to join.
• You can still get your engraved bricks that will be placed at the Viking Honor Court. Bricks can be ordered and placed in honor of any former Viking. The proceeds will then go to the sports, fine arts or music area that you choose. The bricks are a great way to pay tribute to all Vikings and act as a cool way to raise funding for the district. Order forms can be obtained at any school building office in the district or by visiting the school website.
• If you are a resident of Mt. Pleasant Township, your monthly recycling date will be the first Thursday of a full week of each month. If you do not have a container from your recycling company, use any container you have, but please mark it as recyclable.
Township residents are to put their recycle containers at the end of their driveways or in the location they put their trash when it is collected.
For a full schedule of recycle information and other township information visit www.mtpleasanttwp.com.
• We are doing a great job recycling in the borough, so let's keep it up! Items that can be recycled include glass, plastics, cans, newspapers, phone books, magazines, junk mail, cardboard that has been folded, bundled and tied, not taped, and the lids of your pizza boxes. If you have more items than you have recycling containers, you can feel free to use any container, simply mark on the container that it is a recycle container. The next recycling days will be Jan. 27 and 28.
To submit an item for this column, email email@example.com
Marilyn Forbes is a Mt. Pleasant resident.