Thanks to local police for supporting 'Shop With A Cop'
I didn't want to overlook thanking all police officers who took part in last month's “Shop With a Cop” project. The children were thrilled with the gifts and attention which was given to them and by the officers who made their holiday special. You are very special people.
• Don't forget to put on your “to do” list to give to the Blackburn Center Against Domestic and Sexual Violence a donation. For more information, call 724-836-1122 or visit www.blackburncenter.org.
• Everson Volunteer Firefighters will sell hoagies this weekend in Scottdale. Please support our area firefighters; as they support us in our times of need.
• On Sunday, a free luncheon will be held from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. in St. John the Baptist's social hall, Scottdale. Those planning to attend should call 724-887-9550.
• The Everson Borough Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday at the borough building, Brown Street.
• The Scottdale Area Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly meeting at noon Tuesday at the Scottdale Public Library. All chamber members are welcome to attend.
• Swim classes at the Scottdale Community Pool continue through Feb. 21. Signups are accepted up to and including the first day of any given class. Interested persons may call the pool at 724-887-0667 or email email@example.com or stop by the facility at 115 Pioneer Way, Scottdale. You can schedule private lessons with staff; contact the pool for fees. Members and the public are invited to open swim from 7 to 9 p.m. Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays and from 4 to 7 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; contact the pool for fees. Contact the pool for available times and fees for party rentals.
• The Southmoreland Senior High Child Care Lab will be operating with new days and hours this year on Tuesdays and Thursdays only, from 11:05 to 12:25 p.m. Open House will be Feb. 6 for prospective families. The $50 cost will include crafts, snacks and a digital scrapbook. Promotion will be May 13. Children should be turning 4 or 5 with updated immunizations and potty trained. Applications will be available in the high school office or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• By using GoodSearch.com for your Internet searches and selecting the Scottdale Public Library under “charity,” you can earn money for the library each time you do; visit www.goodsearch.com for more details.
• Art work done by a Southmoreland Elementary School student was deemed worthy to be included in the Office of the Attorney General's 21014 Drug Free Calendar. Amanda Sokol, a fifth-grade student at SES, was announced as one of the winners in the 17th annual calendar contest. Sokol is the only winner among the 13 chosen (12 months, plus a grand prize winner on the cover) from Westmoreland, Fayette or Allegheny count. Her work will be displayed on the July page of the calendar.
• Armbrust Wesleyan Church will offer free community meals at 5:55 p.m. every Wednesday. The church is located at 7790 Route 819 in Hunker.
• Volunteers are needed to assist seniors in need with non-medical services. Trainings are scheduled regularly; for more information on how you can volunteer and give back to your community, call 724-542-4117 or email email@example.com.
• Southmoreland Middle School's Ruby Bickerton, 11, and Olivia Price, 13, received honorable mention for their toasty travel mug invention at the annual “Invention Convention” held at Yough Intermediate Middle School.
• Southmoreland student Jake Beistel captured the championship at 285 pounds in the Southmoreland Holiday Classic wrestling tournament. He captured the tournament title at 285 pounds with a 7-2 victory over Mason Shumaker of Bentwork.
• Congratulations to all the winning students!
• A Winter Program Guide which details programs, classes, events provided by the Regional Family YMCA from January through May is available at www.rfymca.org or call 724-547-9622.
• Monday is the observed date of the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.
• Reading is one of my passions. A big thank you goes out to the “Reading Buddies” who are Southmoreland High School students who take the time to read to the Southmoreland Primary School students. They also bring stuffed animals for the students. The students volunteer their time on Fridays after school. A job well done.
Readers, share your passion, whether it is reading, sewing, gardening, etc. with someone else. You will be glad you did. Enjoy the winter weather.
Patricia Walker is a Scottdale resident.