Passenger numbers up 66 percent at Arnold Palmer Regional
Westmoreland County Airport Authority were told on Tuesday that Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Unity flew 243,570 passengers last year, a 66 percent increase from 2012.
“Everyone here works very hard to make this happen,” said authority board member Don Rossi.
Since the addition of Spirit Airlines flights at the airport in February 2011, the airport has flown 454,239 passengers. A boost in the numbers happened in June when the carrier added flights directly from Unity to Dallas-Fort Worth.
The airport had 15,990 passengers in December, and Executive Director Gabe Monzo reported to the board that the first 12 days of January saw 6,762 passengers.
“It used to take us six months to do that,” Monzo said.
Spirit Airlines flies year-round to Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Fla., and Dallas-Fort Worth. Seasonal service to Myrtle Beach, S.C., is scheduled to resume on Feb. 13. Flights will be scheduled three times per week until March 19, then four times weekly until April 30 before daily service begins May 1.
In 2012, the service resumed in May, but it has begun in February the past two years, Monzo said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Westmoreland judges’ caseloads unlikely to affect district boundary changes
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- St. Michael’s volunteers cook up festival delights
- Dog-training program gives prison inmates chance to give back
- Restitution closes chapter for New Stanton mother
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West
- Slickville murderer’s appeal tossed