Passenger numbers up 66 percent at Arnold Palmer Regional
Westmoreland County Airport Authority were told on Tuesday that Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Unity flew 243,570 passengers last year, a 66 percent increase from 2012.
“Everyone here works very hard to make this happen,” said authority board member Don Rossi.
Since the addition of Spirit Airlines flights at the airport in February 2011, the airport has flown 454,239 passengers. A boost in the numbers happened in June when the carrier added flights directly from Unity to Dallas-Fort Worth.
The airport had 15,990 passengers in December, and Executive Director Gabe Monzo reported to the board that the first 12 days of January saw 6,762 passengers.
“It used to take us six months to do that,” Monzo said.
Spirit Airlines flies year-round to Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Fla., and Dallas-Fort Worth. Seasonal service to Myrtle Beach, S.C., is scheduled to resume on Feb. 13. Flights will be scheduled three times per week until March 19, then four times weekly until April 30 before daily service begins May 1.
In 2012, the service resumed in May, but it has begun in February the past two years, Monzo said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- Hempfield woman seriously injured in crash
- Hempfield bicyclist gets one last chance from Westmoreland County judge
- Purple Heart recipient Krinock to lead July Fourth parade in Latrobe
- State Supreme Court rejects latest Foxley Farm appeal in Ligonier Township dispute
- Independence Day events for Westmoreland County
- Smithton man gets 6-12 years for robbery in Jeannette
- Group takes veterans, seniors in WWII-era planes at Unity airport
- Urgent care center planned in Donegal Township
- Three teens injured in one-vehicle crash in Hempfield
- Copper stolen from construction site at Greensburg museum