Passenger numbers up 66 percent at Arnold Palmer Regional
Westmoreland County Airport Authority were told on Tuesday that Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Unity flew 243,570 passengers last year, a 66 percent increase from 2012.
“Everyone here works very hard to make this happen,” said authority board member Don Rossi.
Since the addition of Spirit Airlines flights at the airport in February 2011, the airport has flown 454,239 passengers. A boost in the numbers happened in June when the carrier added flights directly from Unity to Dallas-Fort Worth.
The airport had 15,990 passengers in December, and Executive Director Gabe Monzo reported to the board that the first 12 days of January saw 6,762 passengers.
“It used to take us six months to do that,” Monzo said.
Spirit Airlines flies year-round to Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Fla., and Dallas-Fort Worth. Seasonal service to Myrtle Beach, S.C., is scheduled to resume on Feb. 13. Flights will be scheduled three times per week until March 19, then four times weekly until April 30 before daily service begins May 1.
In 2012, the service resumed in May, but it has begun in February the past two years, Monzo said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- DNA evidence in alleged June 2013 rape leads to Latrobe man’s arrest
- Mt. Pleasant residents voice support for Zilli as borough police chief
- Hempfield killer Stahl ordered to pay for slain wife’s funeral
- Westmoreland prison online visit program delayed again
- East Huntingdon man, 91, finds 2nd career as a woodworker
- Westmoreland group gets pet oxygen masks for area fire departments
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap
- Derry man jailed in scuffle with police
- Hempfield zoning board OKs variances for gas station, store
- Latrobe police officer sues councilman, city for slander