Derry woman finds nude husband taping girl, 4, police say
A Derry Township man whose wife turned him in to police because she allegedly discovered him naked as he videotaped a 4-year-old girl dancing in their basement was jailed on Tuesday on child abuse charges.
Thomas J. Deglau, 54, of 938 Wood St. was charged by state police in Greensburg with aggravated indecent assault, sexual abuse of children, indecent assault and indecent exposure.
Deglau's wife, Sandra, turned over to Latrobe police videotapes that her husband allegedly filmed recently of the girl, whom the couple occasionally baby-sat.
According to Trooper Jason Swope, Sandra Deglau became suspicious when she awoke from a nap about 5:30 p.m. Saturday, went into the basement and found her husband, Thomas, videotaping the girl as she danced.
“(Mrs. Deglau) related that Thomas Deglau was not wearing any pants or underwear,” Swope wrote in an affidavit of probable cause filed before Derry District Judge Mark Bilik.
Sandra Deglau viewed the footage in the video camera her husband was using and found two other recordings her husband recently had taken of the victim, Swope said in the affidavit.
Having viewed alleged inappropriate contact between Deglau and the girl, Sandra Deglau took the videotapes to city police.
Latrobe police contacted state police because the village of McChesneytown, just outside of Latrobe, falls within state police jurisdiction.
Swope said in the affidavit that in an interview on Monday, Deglau confessed to videotaping the 4-year-old, sometimes when she was naked, and “doing this for sexual gratification.” Swope said Deglau admitted to sometimes “touching” the girl inappropriately.
Bilik ordered Deglau, who has no criminal record, held in the county jail in lieu of $50,000 bond pending a preliminary hearing on Jan. 22.
Paul Peirce is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-850-2860 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Honored Westmoreland youth counselor sought in theft of money from clients
- Ruffsdale family loses daughter, 9, to cancer but gives back in her name
- Record-holding female motorcyclist to speak at Lincoln Highway event
- Kopas, citing poor state inspection, pushes to end deal for Westmoreland Manor operator
- Greensburg YMCA pool upgrade in works
- Detaining juveniles charged as adults costs Westmoreland reimbursement money
- Westmoreland County Animal Response Team seeks money for new space
- Derry Township man killed when ATV flips
- Renovations a go on historic La Rose building in downtown Greensburg
- Ligonier water shutoff delayed slightly
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect Hribal to head to adult prison after Oct. 1