State police in Greensburg seek help in finding kidnapping suspect
State police in Greensburg have renewed their pleas for the public's help locating a 42-year-old Hempfield man who allegedly abducted a woman and held her at gunpoint on Jan. 16 in New Stanton.
Dennis Lee Backus Jr. of Swede Hill Road is accused of going to the woman's home about 2 a.m. Jan. 16 in violation of a protection from abuse order issued against him on Jan. 2 in Westmoreland County.
Charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, terroristic threats, possession of firearm prohibited, false imprisonment and reckless endangerment were filed against Backus with Scottdale District Judge Charles Moore.
Police said he is 5 feet, 9 inches tall, weighs 175 pounds and has black hair and brown eyes. He may be driving a 2004 black Mazda RX8.
The woman said she was entering her house when she encountered Backus on her porch, according to an affidavit filed by Trooper Timothy Culler.
“(Backus) immediately placed a black handgun to her head and stated, ‘Don't do anything stupid,'” Culler wrote.
Backus told the woman to walk to his car, which she did “out of fear for her life,” the affidavit states.
The woman said she tried to push away the gun several times. After they got into his car, Backus placed the gun on his lap, she told police.
The two talked about their relationship for about 45 minutes, the woman told police.
At one point, Backus told the woman, “We are both going to die tonight,” the affidavit states.
After talking a while longer, the woman told Backus to put away the gun, and he placed it in the driver's-side door compartment. The woman told Backus she wanted to go home and her drove her to a nearby street and let her out of the car.
The woman said she locked herself inside the house and called police.
Backus was not found at his Swede Hill Road residence, and a warrant has been issued for his arrest.
Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call state police at 724-832-3288.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- Greensburg pawn shop aids in arrest of home repair scam suspect
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- PennDOT to stabilize rock slide along Penn Adamsburg Road in Hempfield
- Walker: Latrobe gets ready to welcome Steelers back to camp
- Greensburg man charged with assaulting hospital guard
- Blaze ravages South Huntingdon home
- Baggaley school principal seeks volunteers to build playground
- Westmoreland County gets the word out about drug problem
- Unity zoning board OKs cellphone tower project
- State grant to aid Excela plans for orthopedic center in Hempfield