Homeowner dies in Allegheny Township fire; wife sustains burns
An early morning house fire Saturday in Allegheny Township killed one of the residents and resulted in another being hospitalized with burns.
The fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. at 14 Louise St., off of School Road, according to Westmoreland County 911, about a mile and half from the intersection of Hyde Park Road and the Route 56 bypass.
Westmoreland County Deputy Coroner Josh Zappone identified the deceased as Dennis Zidek, 70. Further details on his death are pending the results of an autopsy scheduled for today.
Zidek's stepson, John Grantz, 47, of Oklahoma Borough said his mother, Zidek's wife, Linda, sustained burns and was taken to West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh. A hospital spokeswoman said no information on her condition would be released.
A next-door neighbor, Carlton Smith, 24, who called in the fire, managed to help Linda Zidek escape, according to Grantz and Robert Fortuna Jr., who lived in the house on the other side of the Zidek house.
Smith was not available to speak to a reporter. His stepfather, who identified himself only as Mr. Allen said that Smith was shaken up by the incident.
“He said he heard the dog barking and then he said he heard something like trees burning,” Allen said. “He just wishes he could have gotten there sooner. He's a little upset he didn't' get everybody out.
The home was destroyed and Fortuna's house had the siding melt due to the intensity of the flames.
Multiple Kiski Valley fire departments responded to the blaze. No cause has yet been determined.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State police trooper seriously hurt when hit by vehicle in East Huntingdon
- Fund set up for 4-year-old Meyersdale girl’s final expenses
- Razing of Monsour Medical Center in Jeannette within reach with $1M grant
- Herminie woman, 18, dies after car accident in Turkeytown
- Westmoreland County to auction guns, vehicles
- Greensburg torture killer seeks reduction in sentence
- Hribal’s attorney seeks to push back trial
- Westmoreland County Historical Society honors late Tribune-Review publisher Scaife, Fort Ligonier trustee emeritus Fagan
- Herminie man admits 1 robbery at ATM
- Fire marshal rules Derry mobile home fire was accidental
- Laurel Art Club to meet at Scottdale library