Export man charged in child porn case
A Westmoreland County man allegedly used a charter school's Internet connection to have explicit conversations with a person he believed was a 14-year-old Fayette County girl, according to Southwest Regional police.
Theodore Mamel, 64, of Export, is facing pornography and related charges after officers arrested him on Wednesday as he was headed to meet the Belle Vernon girl, according to a police report. Police officers posed as the girl during a month-long investigation.
Mamel allegedly sent pornography and child pornography to the person he believed was the teenager using wireless Internet connections. One of the connections was through a Beaver County charter school, Lincoln Park Center for the Performing Arts, where he did work as a piano repairman, police said.
Mamel is charged with disseminating child pornography, child pornography, criminal use of a communication facility and two counts of unlawful contact with a minor in connection with a Jan. 9 offense.
Mamel is being held in the Fayette County Prison on $250,000 bail. A Feb. 21 preliminary hearing is set before District Judge Richard Kasunic II.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Route 217 bridge across Loyalhanna Creek reopens early
- DEP orders cleanup of former Jeannette Glass property to resume
- Fire at Flight 93 National Memorial hints at struggle to safeguard historic artifacts
- Southwest Greensburg man died of injuries in accident in Bell
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of abusing position, viewing porn on the job
- The real Captain Phillips brings story of piracy to St. Vincent College
- Missing Southwest Greensburg man found dead at crash site in Bell
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- Laurel Mountain State Park ski plans will go to Ligonier Township supervisors
- Physicist found joy in family, friends, work, wine
- Mt. Pleasant man injured when tractor hit by vehicle