Export man charged in child porn case
A Westmoreland County man allegedly used a charter school's Internet connection to have explicit conversations with a person he believed was a 14-year-old Fayette County girl, according to Southwest Regional police.
Theodore Mamel, 64, of Export, is facing pornography and related charges after officers arrested him on Wednesday as he was headed to meet the Belle Vernon girl, according to a police report. Police officers posed as the girl during a month-long investigation.
Mamel allegedly sent pornography and child pornography to the person he believed was the teenager using wireless Internet connections. One of the connections was through a Beaver County charter school, Lincoln Park Center for the Performing Arts, where he did work as a piano repairman, police said.
Mamel is charged with disseminating child pornography, child pornography, criminal use of a communication facility and two counts of unlawful contact with a minor in connection with a Jan. 9 offense.
Mamel is being held in the Fayette County Prison on $250,000 bail. A Feb. 21 preliminary hearing is set before District Judge Richard Kasunic II.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Laurel Mountain Ski Resort discusses planned revival
- Ligonier doctor’s appeal to practice rejected
- Blaze guts South Greensburg home, kills 2 dogs
- Hempfield infant fights rare disease
- Pittsburgh man’s bid to delay trial rejected
- Foreign clergy mitigate shortage of priests in Diocese of Greensburg
- Budget work ahead for Southmoreland School District
- Forbes: Night at the Races being held at Bridgeport Sportsman Club
- Westmoreland County Transit Authority to buy 12 minibuses
- Westmoreland drug task force plans fundraising efforts
- Westmoreland judge offers Court in the Classroom