Export man charged in child porn case
A Westmoreland County man allegedly used a charter school's Internet connection to have explicit conversations with a person he believed was a 14-year-old Fayette County girl, according to Southwest Regional police.
Theodore Mamel, 64, of Export, is facing pornography and related charges after officers arrested him on Wednesday as he was headed to meet the Belle Vernon girl, according to a police report. Police officers posed as the girl during a month-long investigation.
Mamel allegedly sent pornography and child pornography to the person he believed was the teenager using wireless Internet connections. One of the connections was through a Beaver County charter school, Lincoln Park Center for the Performing Arts, where he did work as a piano repairman, police said.
Mamel is charged with disseminating child pornography, child pornography, criminal use of a communication facility and two counts of unlawful contact with a minor in connection with a Jan. 9 offense.
Mamel is being held in the Fayette County Prison on $250,000 bail. A Feb. 21 preliminary hearing is set before District Judge Richard Kasunic II.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Injured eagle in Somerset County returns to the wild
- Fire damages Derry house
- Burger named for late Greensburg VFD member star of ‘bashes’
- Latrobe couple who locked son in car trunk avoids jail
- Greensburg man held for trial in hospital assault
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- Westmoreland Glass Co. plant sale fought
- Jeannette resident, 83, no longer teaches dance, still shows how it’s done
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Greensburg pawn shop aids in arrest of home repair scam suspect