Scottdale council to meet Monday
Scottdale Borough Council will hold its monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday at its borough building, 10 Mt. Pleasant Road. If you have information to be put on the agenda, call the office at 724-887-8220.
• A friendly reminder, Daylight Savings Time will begin Sunday. Please set your clock one hour ahead.
• The Southmoreland Parent Teacher Association will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Southmoreland Elementary School.
• A food bank distribution will be held Tuesday at the Christ United Methodist Church, Market Street, Scottdale. Doors will open at 11:30 a.m. and distribution will be held from noon to 1 p.m. Bring proof of residence if it's your first time receiving food. For more information, call the coordinator at 412-916-2319.
• A ham and beef dinner will be held from 3:30 to 7 p.m. March 15 at the Paradise United Methodist Church, Route 982 Bullskin Township. Cost for adults is $12 and children ages 4 to 11 is $5. On the menu is ham, beef, mashed potatoes, noodles, cole slaw, green beans, applesauce, dessert and drink. For carry out call 724-887-6148.
• Mark your calendar for March 15. Excela Health and the Scottdale Kiwanis will hold their annual wellness check. This will be held at Christ United Methodist Church, 203 Market St., Scottdale. For more information, call 877-771-1234 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
• Scotties vs. Steelers Volleyball Match Up will be held March 25 in the Southmoreland High School gymnasium. Purchase tickets in the high school front office or from any volleyball player or on the date of the event. Please support the Scottie Volleyball team. For more information, call 724-989-6221.
• I have a way for you to think more about spring and summer: join the lifeguard classes offered at the Scottdale Community Pool. When you complete the course successfully, you will receive certification from the American Red Cross and CPR/AED certification. For more information, call 724-887-0667 or email email@example.com.
• The Southmoreland School District's “Kindergarten Kick-Off” will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 22 in the Southmoreland Primary Center. Bring your child. There will be snacks, activities, fun and prizes. Parents or guardians also are asked to bring child's birth certificate, immunization record, proof of residency (current utility bill) and custody papers, if applicable.
• You have until March 24 to be a part of the “Love Your Library” campaign. Buy a paper heart for $5. For more information, call 724-887-6140.
• Scrapbooking class is held at 7 p.m. Fridays at the Central Bethel Church, Alverton.
• Visit the former location of the former convent of St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, Everson on the second and fourth Fridays of every month to receive food for those in need. Location is 202 Painter St. For more information, call 724-217-6259.
• The Catholic Daughters of the Americas of St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church in Scottdale will meet in the church's social hall, 504 S. Broadway. For more information, call 724-887-9550.
• Helping Hands Clothing Ministry is now open on the ground floor of the New Hope Alliance Church building, 229 Pittsburgh St. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays. Call Lisa Erickson at 724-220-5154 or Donna Davis at 724-887-4164 for more information.
• Westmoreland Cleanways would like to invite boy and girl scouts, church youth groups, school environmental clubs, 4-H groups, or any youth organization to register for this year's Fugitive Tire Roundup. Youth groups from the county collect tires that escape proper disposal and end up along roadways, waterways, fields, wooded areas and wetlands. Each group selects one Saturday in April to complete their roundup and turn their fugitive tires into a participating tire dealer. Groups receive a bounty for each of the first 200 passenger tires collected (maximum bounty of $150). Westmoreland Cleanways is accepting submissions from youth groups to participate. Deadline for registration is March 14; call 724-879-4020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
• I'm a little bit ahead of myself, but a friendly reminder that March 17 is the birthday of the former mayor of Everson, Tim Shoemaker. Let's all wish him a very happy birthday.
• Jacobs Creek Area Faith In Action will hold its sixth annual Spring Sparkle Dinner and Show March 29 at the Scottdale Fireman's Club. Doors open at 5 p.m., dinner buffet at 6 p.m. and show begins at 7 p.m. Entertainment will be provided by the White Shadow Band playing the hits of the 1950s and ‘60s with a special tribute to the Beatles. There will be a basket raffle and door prizes awarded. Cost is $30 per person and $240 per table of eight. For tickets or more information, call 724-542-4117.
Readers, enjoy your week. Spring and Easter is on their way, in that order.
Patricia Walker is a Scottdale resident.