Blaze destroys two-story home
Firefighters battled frigid temperatures while containing a fire that destroyed a house in Donegal Borough early Thursday morning.
No one was home at the two-story, wood-sided Church Street residence when fire broke out shortly after 2 a.m., Chestnut Ridge Fire Chief Shawn Kestner said.
The home was engulfed in flames upon firefighters' arrival and it was unsafe to enter, he said.
Temperatures below zero made it tricky to fight the blaze as water used to douse the flames froze on nearby roads, making it slippery for firefighters, he said. No one was injured.
“It was an older building, so it didn't take too long to go up,” Kestner said.
A state police fire marshal is investigating. The blaze began in the rear of the home.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hempfield Area High School senior Richason creates Before I Die wall in Greensburg
- Allegheny man Wedel charged with baseball bat, knife attack on former roommate
- Bushy Run Battlefield upgrades to include trail, signs, landscaping
- Youngwood Fire Department to dedicate memorial at station
- Historic Greensburg Art Center joins Cat’s Meow collection
- Greensburg police captain to attend highly selective academy
- Families welcome new members on Adoption Day in Westmoreland County
- Westmoreland County, state AG to get funds from illegal lottery
- Central Westmoreland Career and Technology students may have hand, foot and mouth disease
- Mt. Pleasant-based author details area’s ‘Hidden History’
- Grease in Youngwood sewer system prompts another look at rule