Kids Stitch to meet Saturday at Scottdale Library
Kids Stitch will meet Saturday and is geared for anyone ages 8 to 80 who wants to learn to crochet or knit. The group will make blankets, scarves and hats for children in need. The group meets from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. the fourth Saturday of each month at the Scottdale Library. For more information, call Caroline Bailey at 724-887-0952.
• Southmoreland School District will hold “Kindergarten Kickoff” from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Southmoreland Primary Center. There will be snacks, activities and prizes. Parents should bring the child's birth certificate, immunization records, proof of residency (current utility bill) and custody papers, if applicable. Kindergarten registration cannot be processed without all of these documents.
• There will not be a meeting this month of the Connellsville-Scottdale Salvation Army Board. The next meeting will be held at noon April 22 at Bud Murphy's Sports Bar and Restaurant, Connellsville. Meetings will be held every other month. For more information or if you are interested in becoming a member of the board, call 724-628-2010.
• Learn about the Health Insurance Marketplace, a new way to find coverage that fits your budget and meets your needs, from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday when Jennifer Grybosky, a marketplace navigator, will be available to answer any questions on affordable health insurance and to assist in enrollment at the Scottdale Public Library. Call 855-274-5626 to reserve a spot. Walk-ins will be seen depending on the availability of the navigator.
• Every year the Scottdale Public Library has a birthday celebration to commemorate the life of Beth Ann Johnson, who was killed in 1988 in the terrorist bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. The event will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday; cake will be served. This birthday celebration also marks the close of the library's “I Love My Library” campaign and the Johnson Challenge. In conjunction with the Love Your Library campaign, supporters of the library Glenn and Carole Johnson, parents of Beth Ann, match each dollar of donations the library raises for the “I Love My Library” campaign.
• The Scottdale / Everson Honor Guard's planned bus trip to Washington on May 14 has been postponed until October. An exact date will be announced as plans are finalized.
• Remember, the library holds Preschool Story Hour at 11 a.m. every Wednesday.
• The internationally acclaimed U.S. Army Jazz Ambassadors of Washington, D.C., will presenting free public performances at 7:30 p.m. April 7 at The Palace Theatre, 21 W. Otterman St., Greensburg. For more information about the Jazz Ambassadors' performance in Greensburg, call the theater at 724-836-8000. To obtain free tickets by mail, include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your request (limit four tickets per request) to: U.S. Army Jazz Ambassadors Tickets, The Palace Theatre, 21 W. Otterman St., Greensburg, PA 15601.
• Registration is now underway for nearly 100 undergraduate and graduate-level credit courses in all major academic areas during St. Vincent College summer sessions, beginning May 19. For the first time, course tuition for undergraduate courses during this summer will be reduced by 50 percent. For the summer of 2014, St. Vincent is reducing its normal undergraduate tuition by 50 percent and is targeting its offerings to its own students' needs and incoming transfer students' needs through online surveys conducted earlier this year to determine interests and attitudes. Low-cost fees for summer housing on campus in student residence halls also will be offered. Students currently enrolled at St. Vincent may register via the website for summer courses. Other students may register by mail to the Office of the Registrar, St. Vincent College, 300 Fraser Purchase Road, Latrobe, PA 15650-2690, by fax at 724 805-2063 or in person at the Office of the Registrar, first floor, Alfred Hall, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. A complete summer sessions schedule and registration form are available at www.stvincent.edu/academics/summer. For more information, call 724-805-2720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Congratulations to Southmoreland's wrestlers Jake Beistel, Austin Griffiths and Evan Myers who son silver medals for their achievements. Scottdale is very proud of all of you and really support you in your next tournament. Cole Lambie will also compete.
• For $25, your child can spend a week at The Salvation Army's Camp Allegheny. If you have more than one child, there will be a reduced rate. Your child must be between the ages of 6 to 12 to attend outdoor adventure camp and ages 11 to 14 to attend senior sports camp. If age-eligible, child may attend both sessions. For more information, visit www.campallegheny.salvationarmypa.org. To find out more about registering for camp, call Connellsville-Scottdale Salvation Army Service Center director Mary McKnight at 724-628-2010.
• Only nine days until Jacobs Creek Area Faith In Action's sixth annual Spring Sparkle Dinner and Show on March 29 at the Scottdale Firemen's Club. Doors open at 5 p.m., dinner buffet at 6 p.m., and show begins at 7 p.m. Entertainment will be provided by the White Shadow Band playing the hits of the 1950s and 1960s with a special tribute to the Beatles. There will be a basket raffle and door prizes awarded. Cost is $30 per person and $240 per table of eight. For tickets or more information, call 724-542-4117.
This will be a fun evening and you will be helping a worthwhile organization who helps senior citizens live independently in their homes with help from volunteers who share their time with others. It's a good feeling to know someone cares about you, especially if you are not fortunate to have family living nearby.
Readers, I hope to see you there.
Springs begins today. Have a great spring week.
Patricia Walker is a Scottdale resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Group takes veterans, seniors in WWII-era planes at Unity airport
- Copper stolen from construction site at Greensburg museum
- Westmoreland, Allegheny United Way units complete merger
- Three teens injured in one-vehicle crash in Hempfield
- Business break-ins in Donegal area may be related, state police say
- 10 escape Greensburg house fire
- Greensburg senior care center salutes veterans
- 3 injured in crash that ties up Route 22 in Salem for nearly 8 hours
- Rival Westmoreland vape shops develop own specialties
- $500K federal grant to pay for brownfield evaluation in Westmoreland County
- Hempfield man pleads guilty in crime spree in North Huntingdon, Jeannette, Unity