Man injured, diesel fuel spills in accident
A Maryland man was hospitalized as a result of injuries he sustained when his tractor-trailer collided with a car along Route 119 in Youngwood early Friday morning, police said.
The driver of the tanker truck involved in the accident, Robert McElroy Sr., 45, of Catonsville, Md., was reported in good condition Friday at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, a hospital spokeswoman said. McElroy was flown to the hospital by a medical helicopter, state police at Greensburg said.
The northbound truck made a U-turn from the right lane of Route 119 at Trolley Lane and into the path of a northbound car driven by Cadie Sterner, 22, of Jeannette, shortly after midnight, police said.
Sterner suffered minor injuries when her car, which was in the passing lane, hit the driver's side of the truck, police said.
Youngwood Fire Chief Lloyd Crago said that between 50 gallons and 75 gallons of diesel fuel spilled on the highway when the truck's tank was hit.
Crago said Youngwood firefighters contained the spill and the Westmoreland County Hazardous Materials Team responded to clean up the fuel from the highway.
Crago said three lanes of Route 119 were closed as a result of the accident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- Ligonier planners recommend approval of restaurant proposal
- Brownsville pair allegedly embezzle from law firm
- Hempfield votes to fill public works job with interim director Cisco
- Westmoreland County Prison visitation goes digital
- Veterans Court in session in Westmoreland for first time
- New Year’s Eve sales set LCB record
- PennDOT has to complete acquisition of 4 parcels, take down trees for New Stanton interchange on I-70
- Delmont man blogs about industrial history of region, exploring long-cold coke ovens
- Bids expected for demolition of Monsour Medical Center in Jeannette
- Youngwood officials to submit drawings to state agency that orders playground work stoppage