TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Fire damages half of duplex in Monessen

Saturday, April 12, 2014, 1:33 p.m.
 

Firefighters from the Monessen Fire Department were able to contain an electrical fire in one side of 413 First St. quickly enough for the other half of the duplex to be saved.

Company 1 Chief Chris Rhome said the 22 firefighters from his company had the fire “knocked down in a matter of minutes.”

They responded to the call about 6:40 a.m.

Rhome estimated the damage at about $20,000, with smoke and water making the damaged side of the building uninhabitable.

The side of the duplex where the fire occurred was unoccupied at the time of the blaze, Rhome said.

The building's owner, who lives in the other half of the duplex, was home at the time of the fire and was able to re-enter the unaffected side once fire crews finished at the scene, Rhome said.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Westmoreland

  1. Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying
  2. Greensburg Salem school board discusses stricter anti-nepotism policy
  3. Couple files lawsuit claiming Ruffsdale Gun Club contaminates soil, water
  4. Ligonier Township business will have to control grease
  5. Gibsonia film producer makes documentary about female troops serving in war
  6. Residents warned after incidents with bottles rigged to explode on Jeannette streets
  7. Walker: Scottdale Association’s Good Friday service site changes to Trinity church
  8. Fire marshal probes cause of blaze that destroyed vacant Derry Township house
  9. Westmoreland County tourism grants promote banana splits, breweries, trolley, railroad
  10. Laurel Mountain Ski Resort discusses planned revival
  11. Westmoreland judge offers Court in the Classroom