Victim fatally hit by train in Fayette County identified as Belle Vernon man
A 39-year-old Belle Vernon man has been identified as the person who was killed early Saturday morning when he was hit by a freight train as he was lying down on railroad ties between the tracks near Fayette City, officials said.
The victim, Sandor Macz, was seen rising up from his prone position by personnel on an approaching CSX Corp. train, but the freight train was unable to stop before the train's undercarriage hit him, Fayette County Coroner Dr. Phillip E. Reilly said. The accident occurred in Washington Township during a time of heavy fog, Reilly said.
Macz died of blunt-force trauma and was pronounced dead at the scene, where authorities were summoned at 3:15 a.m.
The manner of death — whether it was accidental or suicide — has not been determined, Reilly said. The coroner said he has ruled out foul play.
Toxicology tests are pending, Reilly said.
Representatives at CSX's Jacksonville headquarters could not be reached on Sunday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- 2 from Westmoreland County charged in child porn investigation
- Lawyers for convicted killer Smyrnes want info about death row
- Charges dismissed against former Westmoreland jail guard accused of sex with inmate
- Penn Township man pleads guilty to assaulting 3 police officers
- Ex-Derry Township man’s troubles mount
- Sewickley Township agrees to lease for land for playground
- Greensburg Salem to consider additional cost-cutting measures
- Youngwood veteran officially joins the Class of 1945
- Cerilli’s primary success in Westmoreland attributed to busy campaign
- Derry Area proposes 2-mill tax increase