Victim fatally hit by train in Fayette County identified as Belle Vernon man
A 39-year-old Belle Vernon man has been identified as the person who was killed early Saturday morning when he was hit by a freight train as he was lying down on railroad ties between the tracks near Fayette City, officials said.
The victim, Sandor Macz, was seen rising up from his prone position by personnel on an approaching CSX Corp. train, but the freight train was unable to stop before the train's undercarriage hit him, Fayette County Coroner Dr. Phillip E. Reilly said. The accident occurred in Washington Township during a time of heavy fog, Reilly said.
Macz died of blunt-force trauma and was pronounced dead at the scene, where authorities were summoned at 3:15 a.m.
The manner of death — whether it was accidental or suicide — has not been determined, Reilly said. The coroner said he has ruled out foul play.
Toxicology tests are pending, Reilly said.
Representatives at CSX's Jacksonville headquarters could not be reached on Sunday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Derry Twp. crash
- Ligonier Township considers cellphone tower requests
- Latrobe group cancels raffle, seeks ticket holders for refunds
- Energy company responsible for polluting Donegal well appeals state’s finding
- Former Pagans leader works out plea agreement
- Stewartsville principal’s comments taken out of context, district claims
- Southmoreland High School junior’s broken jaw ‘could have been avoided’
- 2 suspects charged with second robbery in Hempfield
- Woman charged with assault spree in Jeannette
- Jeannette pleads for more state help
- Jeannette purse-snatching suspects to stand trial in 5 incidents