Scottdale church plans spaghetti dinner
You don't have to cook dinner Friday, because a spaghetti dinner will be served from 4 to 6:30 p.m. at Christ United Methodist Church, 203 Market St. Scottdale. For more information, call 724-887-6724.
• The Hearts and Hands Quilt Guild will meet 7 tonight at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 600 Mulberry St., Scottdale. New members are welcome. For more information, call 724-887-4682.
• The Laurel Highlands Six Shooter Amateur Radio Group is sponsoring a rabies clinic from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Tractor Supply, Crossroads Plaza, Mt. Pleasant. Rabies vaccine (three-year vaccine) cost $10; distemper vaccine is $15 for cats and dogs and will be administered by Dr. Laure Joseph — dogs must be on a leash.
• A rabies clinic will be held at the East Huntingdon fire station from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday. Shots will be administered by Dr. Howard Markle. Cost is $10 per animal. All cats must be in carriers and dogs on leashes.
• Help “Stamp Out Hunger” by leaving a bag of nonperishable food items by your mailbox on Saturday. The post office will make sure it goes to food banks for distribution.
• Exciting activities are taking place at the Scottdale Public Library, 206 Spring St. Visit www.scottdalelibrary.org to see what the library has to offer or call 724-887-6140. The library serves the residents of Scottdale, East Huntingdon, Upper Tyrone and Everson. Get a library card for free if you live in the Southmoreland School District. Library hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursdays, 9 a.m. to noon Fridays and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. Library is closed on Sundays.
• Calvin United Presbyterian Church, Chestnut and Mulberry streets, Scottdale, will hold its annual salad smorgasbord from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 16. No ticket is needed, just pay $7 at the door. Everyone is welcome. Bring a guest. On the menu is an array of salads, ham barbecue sandwiches, dessert and beverages. Takeout and delivery will be available, call ahead at 724-887-9880.
• West Overton Village & Museums is sponsoring a day trip to Gettysburg on June 18. The day begins 6:30 a.m. at West Overton; the bus will depart at 6:45 a.m. The bus is scheduled to arrive in Gettysburg at 9:30 a.m. Cost is $60 per person. All reservations must be received by June 2. To register, call West Overton at 724-887-7910 or visit www.westovertonvillage.org. To register via mail, send a check (made payable to West Overton Village & Museums) and information to West Overton Village & Museums, 109 West Overton Road, Scottdale, PA 15683. If you would like to stay overnight at the Holiday Inn Express, which includes breakfast beginning at 6 a.m., and is five minutes from the West Overton Museum, call 724-547-2095. Mention that you are going on the tour and they will give you a discount if you reserve by May 17.
• Scottdale Borough Council will hold its monthly meeting 6:30 p.m. Monday at the borough building, 10 Mt. Pleasant Road. If you have a business item to be placed on the agenda, call 724-887-8220 before the meeting.
• Westmoreland-Fayette Municipal Sewage Authority will meet 6:30 a.m. Tuesday at its office, 170 Mill Lane, Scottdale.
• A food bank distribution will be held Wednesday at Christ United Methodist Church, 203 Market St., Scottdale. Doors open at 11:30 a.m. Bring proper identification if this is your first visit to the food bank. For more information, call the pantry coordinator at 412-916-2319. Also, bring a container to carry your items.
• Mother's Day is Sunday. We should celebrate every day as Mother's Day for all the things she does in our lives. Sometimes we don't realize how much they do, until we become mothers ourselves. Call your mom on the phone or email or send a card in the mail or, if possible, visit. It will mean so much to her.
All mothers, please enjoy your day.
Patricia Walker is a Scottdale resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Knife-wielding man attacks 2 in Sheetz lot in Greensburg
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect could leave Pa. for treatment
- Bolivar couple charged with endangerment; baby nearly drowned, police say
- Ex-clerk convicted of stealing more than $116K from WCCC avoids jail
- Butler blasting worker in North Huntingdon water main break put on probation
- Police: Charges unwarranted for Yough shop class project
- Youngwood Council to pick solicitor from ‘good mix’
- Chief says Youngwood house fire is suspicious
- Greensburg man pleads guilty to lesser charges in altercation
- Delmont must address access road for gas station
- Candidates to attend GOP event in Rostraver