Murrysville woman sues Giant Eagle over burns
A Murrysville woman who bought a rotisserie chicken at a local Giant Eagle said she ended up in a burn clinic a month later, according to a lawsuit.
In the suit filed on Thursday in Westmoreland County, Karen Fratangelo, 48, contends the Murrysville grocery store was negligent and failed to properly train its staff to deal with her injury after she burned herself while reaching into a warming case for a grease-covered container of prepared chicken.
Giant Eagle officials did not comment on the allegations.
Fratangelo said she was injured Aug. 17.
The suit indicates Fratangelo's hand “slipped off the package of prepared chicken and she burned her left hand when it came into contact with the heating element that was located on the underside of the case's shelving unit.”
Fratangelo said she asked for ice from workers in the store deli and for ointment from the pharmacy, but employees did not assist her.
She was treated for a second-degree burn three times at the West Penn Burn Clinic, according to the lawsuit.
At the time she was injured, she earned $18.50 to $20 an hour working as a dental hygienist, a job that required her to wear latex gloves, the lawsuit indicates.
She said as a result of the alleged injury she was reassigned to her office's billing department and eventually took a job as an ophthalmologist's assistant, earning $13 an hour.
She can't return to her job as a dental hygienist because “her left hand is still sensitive, and she is unable to wear latex gloves,” her lawyer, James W. Creenan, wrote in the lawsuit.
Rich Cholodofsky is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West
- Mt. Pleasant alumni lead campaign to buy handicapped-accessible van for former classmate
- Jeannette man held in Greensburg window-smashing incidents
- West Overton museum to host Civil War exhibit
- Dog-training program gives prison inmates chance to give back
- St. Michael’s volunteers cook up festival delights
- Chemical mix sickens two from South Greensburg