TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Blaze damages Derry Twp. garage, apartment

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.
Saturday, April 19, 2014, 4:30 p.m.
 

A fire blamed on garbage burning and shifting winds caused extensive damage to a Derry Township garage and a vacant apartment above it on Saturday, a fire chief said.

The blaze started about 1:25 p.m. at 2202 Harrison Ave.

“A guy was burning garbage in a little fire pit beside his garage, and the winds shifted and caught the garage on fire,” Bradenville fire Chief Mark Piantine said.

The fire spread up a wall to the apartment above, he said.

Piantine estimated the loss at between $40,000 and $50,000.

Piantine said he needed to request a water tanker after a hydrant at Daily Avenue and Montana Street didn't work.

Firefighters from about 10 companies fought the blaze.

Piantine's firefighters were en route to another brush fire when they were dispatched to the garage/apartment fire.

“People have got to learn to watch what they're doing,” Piantine said. “If it's windy out, they shouldn't be burning.”

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Westmoreland

  1. Day care operator gets long sentence for neglect of children
  2. Volunteers pull weeds, clear debris from Hempfield’s neglected 14th Quartermaster monument
  3. Write-in opens up mayoral race in Greensburg
  4. Juvenile status hearing, trial delayed in Franklin Regional stabbings
  5. Seton Hill won’t manage new apartment project for student housing in city
  6. Burglars strike 3 businesses in Hempfield plaza
  7. North Huntingdon man injured, dog dies in house fire
  8. Greensburg train station earns honor from Pittsburgh foundation
  9. Unity resident again accused of burglary
  10. Tenant charged in fire that destroyed Latrobe apartment house
  11. Proposed Mt. Pleasant budget plan includes deficit, tax hike