Blaze at Bovard home causes damage in attic, but no one injured
A Hempfield family was home when a fire broke out in their Bovard residence Monday afternoon but they escaped unharmed, officials said.
The 4:24 p.m. fire at 268 Prisani Drive caused significant damage to the attic, but Bovard fire Chief Greg Saunders said he believed the home could be repaired.
Saunders identified the family as Mike and Amber Wyzkiewicz, who have several young children.
Westmoreland County court records show the couple purchased the home in 2006.
“The fire was pretty much contained to the attic,” Saunders said, where a lot of items were stored.
“We had to cut some holes in the roof for ventilation,” he said.
The first-floor ceiling of the house sustained water damage.
Saunders said one member of the family was showering and another was about to shower when the fire began.
“They were in a hurry (to get out),” he said.
Saunders said the cause of the fire was unknown on Monday. Hempfield fire marshal Doug Fordyce will investigate, he said.
“Knowing Mike, he's a handy guy, does construction work. ... I believe he could fix it up,” he said.
Saunders contacted the American Red Cross on behalf of the family for shelter, food and clothing.
He said their friends and neighbors were likely to help as needed.
“They are good friends with people in our town. We are pretty tight,” he said.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Perfect’ skies draw big crowds to Westmoreland Fair
- Westmoreland County Fair doubles as meet-and-greet for candidates
- Man gets probation for sex with teen girl in New Kensington
- Prison sentence extended for New Kensington man
- Children honor late Ligonier Township officer at Westmoreland Fair
- Ligonier Township equine facility breaks ground
- Greensburg man charged with terroristic threats
- Megan’s List offender charged with assault on 10-year-old Latrobe girl
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect Hribal to head to adult prison after Oct. 1
- Scottdale man charged in robbery at car wash
- 10-year-old Blairsville violinist’s expulsion over knife challenged