Blaze at Bovard home causes damage in attic, but no one injured
A Hempfield family was home when a fire broke out in their Bovard residence Monday afternoon but they escaped unharmed, officials said.
The 4:24 p.m. fire at 268 Prisani Drive caused significant damage to the attic, but Bovard fire Chief Greg Saunders said he believed the home could be repaired.
Saunders identified the family as Mike and Amber Wyzkiewicz, who have several young children.
Westmoreland County court records show the couple purchased the home in 2006.
“The fire was pretty much contained to the attic,” Saunders said, where a lot of items were stored.
“We had to cut some holes in the roof for ventilation,” he said.
The first-floor ceiling of the house sustained water damage.
Saunders said one member of the family was showering and another was about to shower when the fire began.
“They were in a hurry (to get out),” he said.
Saunders said the cause of the fire was unknown on Monday. Hempfield fire marshal Doug Fordyce will investigate, he said.
“Knowing Mike, he's a handy guy, does construction work. ... I believe he could fix it up,” he said.
Saunders contacted the American Red Cross on behalf of the family for shelter, food and clothing.
He said their friends and neighbors were likely to help as needed.
“They are good friends with people in our town. We are pretty tight,” he said.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- United Way surplus funds benefit 9 nonprofits in Westmoreland County
- Hempfield leaders kill zoning request for townhomes
- Plenty of ‘pain’ to share, as Westmoreland County budget OK’d with $8M in cuts
- Demolition project at Oliver’s Pourhouse in Greensburg moves ahead
- Penn Township man who shot friend gets probation
- Home of LeNature’s exec up for sale
- Arbitration decides Westmoreland court workers’ pact