Hempfield woman's bond altered so she can be around her baby after its birth
A Hempfield woman accused of failing to protect her children from physical abuse received a change to her bond Thursday so she eventually can be with her child when it is born.
But Jeannette District Judge Joseph DeMarchis refused to expand the conditions of Jana Rae Mannarino's bond to allow her near any other children.
“I think it's appropriate under the circumstances,” DeMarchis said in denying a defense attorney's request.
In seeking the bond change, Mannarino's attorney, Jason Bertram, told DeMarchis that his client is “due in six weeks,” and “she couldn't attend her baby shower because there were children there.”
Mannarino, 32, of Grapeville failed to seek medical attention for an injured child and failed to protect two youngsters from repeated physical abuse inflicted by her then-boyfriend, Barry W. Woods, 36, from July 2013 through early February, state police at Greensburg said.
Mannarino and Woods, both of Grapeville, waived their rights to preliminary hearings on Thursday before DeMarchis.
Woods, who is jailed on $350,000 bail, is charged with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children, simple assault and other offenses.
Mannarino, who is charged with endangering the welfare of children, is free on $10,000 bond, posted by her mother.
Woods inflicted abuse on one child that caused injuries requiring surgery, according to a police affidavit.
Investigators were alerted to the alleged assault on Feb. 4 by Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Mannarino, an emergency medical technician, said she failed to seek medical attention because she was afraid of losing her job and having Westmoreland County's Children's Bureau become involved, according to court records.
“She didn't know about the alleged abuse, as far as I know,” Bertram said.
He said he may seek to get his client's bond restrictions changed by a county judge.
Attempts to speak with Mannarino were unsuccessful.
Bob Stiles is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 3 face charges for drugs, weapons after arrest in North Huntingdon
- Identities of theft suspects sought by Penn Township and state police
- Man takes rifle from Jeannette police car
- Pollution may be cause of sky’s colored streaks in Westmoreland
- Grant program targets 7 Westmoreland County towns, including Greensburg, for revitalization
- Westmoreland judge: Contact with advocacy group won’t hamper fairness in drug trial
- Contract talks to start this week for prison union in Westmoreland
- Girl, 8, hit by truck in North Irwin, breaks leg
- Mt. Pleasant Scout creates drop box for flag disposal
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Derry Twp. crash
- 1 injured in Mt. Pleasant Twp. accident