Forbes: West Overton holding plant sale on Saturday
Head over to West Overton Village & Museums on Saturday to buy your plants for your gardens. The event will begin at 9 a.m. in the West Overton Museum basement Overholt Room, 109 West Overton Road, Scottdale. The event features heirloom and hybrid tomatoes plus vegetable plants, annuals, perennials, herbs, unique houseplants, hanging baskets, Oglevee's geraniums and flowers for Mother's Day.
• A big congratulations to Bill Lozier, who was recently named “Citizen of the Year.”
• Volunteers are needed to help at the monthly food pantry in the fellowship hall of the Mt. Pleasant Church of God. Volunteers help with traffic control and cleanup. The pantry is held during the morning of the last Thursday of every month. For more information, call 724-542-4003.
• Call to reserve your spot to make cut glass with Peter O'Rourke at the Mt. Pleasant Glass Museum. He will give two-hour demonstrations, then participants will be able to cut glass themselves to create a small keepsake. Demonstrations will be held at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Sunday. Cost for the program is $15 each and the class is suitable for children. All reservations must be prepaid. Space is limited. For more information, call the museum at 724-547-5929.
• The education department of the Geyer Performing Arts Center will stage the musical “Dorothy Meets Alice: The Wizard of Wonderland” this weekend at the theater. Times will be 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets for the event will be $6. For an additional $6, those who attend the morning show on Saturday can take part in the carnival that will feature games, face painting and lunch. For information, call the theater at 724-887-0887.
• Mt. Pleasant Glass Museum is sponsoring a Glass and Arts Carnival on the museum grounds from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 17. The museum is seeking glass collectors, glass manufacturers, glass clubs, antique dealers, writers, artists and other glass and art-related persons. Information tables are welcome; tables are $20 for vendors and $10 for non-selling information tables. Vendors must book and pay by Saturday. Vendors may share two vendors per table. Clubs may have four people for the $20 and $5 for each additional person selling at the table. Vendors must provide their own tables (no more than 8 foot long), chairs and shade. Setup will be an hour before and cleanup after. Electricity will not be provided.
• Friends of the Mt. Pleasant Library is offering a spring basket for raffle at the library. The basket includes such items as Pennsylvania lottery tickets, a Pittsburgh Pirates gift card and much more. Winning entry will be picked on May 15, so you have plenty of time to stop in for your chance to win.
• If you would like to spend a day at the Gettysburg National Park, West Overton Village & Museums is sponsoring a day trip for June 18. The trip will consist of a two-hour guided battlefield tour, the cyclorama, the museum and more. The ticket price of $60 includes bus trip, light breakfast, buffet lunch and box dinner. All reservations must be made by June 2. For reservations, call 724-887-7910 or visit www.westovertonvillage.org.
• If you are a resident of Mt. Pleasant Township, your monthly recycling date is the first Thursday of a full week of each month. If you do not have a container from your recycling company, use any container you have but mark it as recyclable. Township residents are to put their recycle containers at the end of their driveways or in the location they put their trash when it is collected. For a full schedule of recycle information and other township information, visit www.mtpleasanttwp.com.
• Next recycling days in Mt. Pleasant Borough will be Monday and Tuesday.
A big “Happy Mother's Day” to all moms out there and to all dads who pull double duty. Please take a minute to remember mom and make this special day even better!
To submit an item for this column, email email@example.com.
Marilyn Forbes is a Mt. Pleasant resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Request for documents delays Speedway hearing in Unity
- Donora-Monessen bridge ramps to stay open during construction
- Youngwood aims to reduce amount that ends up in sewage treatment facility
- Latrobe ear-biting suspect loses bid for reduced bail
- Westmoreland County tourism grants promote banana splits, breweries, trolley, railroad
- Blaze guts South Greensburg home, kills 2 dogs
- Forbes: Night at the Races planned at sportsmen’s club
- Scottdale church to hold spaghetti dinner Friday
- West Newton acts on flooding along Youghiogheny River tributary
- Purchase of van to transport small groups of students to cut Greater Latrobe rental fees
- Bidding process delayed for Laurel Mountain ski area