Mt. Pleasant man accused of sexually assaulting Facebook 'friend'
A Westmoreland County man who became friends with a 13-year-old girl on Facebook is accused of sexually assaulting her.
Michael Lee Curtis, 22, is facing criminal charges in connection with two alleged incidents at his Mt. Pleasant Township apartment.
Curtis and the girl met through Facebook sometime in November, according to an affidavit of probable cause filed by state police. Trooper James Simpson alleged in the complaint that the pair's conversations “soon turned sexual in nature,” and Curtis allegedly asked if the girl was a virgin and if she had a boyfriend.
On two occasions in December and January, the pair allegedly engaged in sexual activity at Curtis' apartment, according to the complaint. Curtis faces charges of statutory sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault without consent, aggravated indecent assault, corruption of minors, unlawful contact with minors and indecent exposure.
He was arraigned Wednesday and is being held in the Westmoreland County Prison on $50,000 bail. A preliminary hearing before District Judge Roger Eckels is scheduled for June 5.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West
- Franklin Regional security guard fighting to get job back
- Latrobe law firm’s secretary pleads guilty to income tax evasion
- Dog-training program gives prison inmates chance to give back
- Mt. Pleasant alumni lead campaign to buy handicapped-accessible van for former classmate
- Chemical mix sickens two from South Greensburg
- Trooper: Suspect confessed to fatal Hempfield shooting