Mt. Pleasant man accused of sexually assaulting Facebook 'friend'
A Westmoreland County man who became friends with a 13-year-old girl on Facebook is accused of sexually assaulting her.
Michael Lee Curtis, 22, is facing criminal charges in connection with two alleged incidents at his Mt. Pleasant Township apartment.
Curtis and the girl met through Facebook sometime in November, according to an affidavit of probable cause filed by state police. Trooper James Simpson alleged in the complaint that the pair's conversations “soon turned sexual in nature,” and Curtis allegedly asked if the girl was a virgin and if she had a boyfriend.
On two occasions in December and January, the pair allegedly engaged in sexual activity at Curtis' apartment, according to the complaint. Curtis faces charges of statutory sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault without consent, aggravated indecent assault, corruption of minors, unlawful contact with minors and indecent exposure.
He was arraigned Wednesday and is being held in the Westmoreland County Prison on $50,000 bail. A preliminary hearing before District Judge Roger Eckels is scheduled for June 5.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Ohio woman will be millionth passenger to fly out of Arnold Palmer airport
- Westmoreland County candidate admits to summary offenses
- Laurel Ridge rangers on watch for sexual misconduct in park
- Democrats go on offense in Westmoreland County commission debate
- Accuser lying, rape defendant testifies in Westmoreland County trial
- Mt. Pleasant school board to discuss website plan
- Southmoreland directors to seek loan info from banks as state budget impasse continues
- Greensburg council expected to approve fire truck purchase
- Hempfield woman bounces back from serious car crash
- Westmoreland couple charged with having heroin, marijuana