Annual cemetery walk set in Mt. Pleasant Saturday
The Mt. Pleasant Historical Society will hold its annual cemetery walk from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday. The event is now marking its fifth year and will be held in the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery. Admission for the walk will be $5 for those ages 13 and up, $3 for children ages 6 through 12 and children age 4 and younger will be admitted free. All proceeds from the walk will benefit the Mt. Pleasant Historical Society.
• There will be a bowling tournament starting at 12:30 p.m. Sunday at the Yough Lanes to benefit the Melanie Grimm Memorial Fund. Registration will begin at noon. Cost will be $35 per person with the fee including food, beverages and bowling. There will also be raffles, 50/50 drawing and prizes. The first place five-person team will win $300. Register today by calling 724-547-8000
• Volunteer Services at Excela Health Frick will hold a used book fair from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 19 and from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 20. The sale will be held in conference rooms B and C on the first floor of the facility. The event will feature gently used books, CDs, videos, DVDs and puzzles. All proceeds from the event will go the junior scholarship program at the hospital.
• The Reunion Presbyterian Church will hold its annual strawberry festival from 4 to 7 p.m. June 7. Strawberry shortcake with ice cream and Cool Whip will be served, ham barbecue, Italian roast beef and hot dogs will be sold separately at the event and takeout will be available. Tickets can be purchased at the door.
• Dr. Paul Kraisinger is now offering a special on teeth whitening and the total cost of the procedure will be donated towards the purchase of a handicapped vehicle for Mt. Pleasant graduate Ted Pence. The whitening fundraiser is called “Smiles for Ted” and will run through Labor Day. You can go to either the Mt. Pleasant or Greensburg offices for the procedure that will be for a $175 donation. For an appointment, call 724-836-DENT (724-836-3368).
• On June 10, Dr. Shannon Smith, chiropractor and certified nutritionist, will present “Beyond Gluten-Free.” She will discuss managing the immune response and dietary and nutritional changes for gluten sensitive and Celiac patients. The program is hosted by the Herbalicious Gluten-Free Living Group and will start at 7 p.m. at the store, located at 612 W. Main St., Mt. Pleasant. There will also be gluten-free food samples and all those who attend will be given a 10% off coupon for their next store visit. The meeting is free and open to all interested parties. Please reserve your seat by calling Herbalicious at 724-542-9745 or emailing the store at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 6.
• A bus trip fundraiser for the Mt. Pleasant Relay for Life team Esther's Crew will be held June 20. Depart from Countryside Plaza, Mt. Pleasant to Rogers Flea Market, Rogers, Ohio, then to the Das Dutch Village Dinner Theater. Cost is $80 and includes transportation, buffet dinner and show. For more information or to register, call 724-396-6542 or 724-547-2503 or 724-547-5839.
Volunteers are needed to help at the monthly food pantry located in the fellowship hall of the Mt. Pleasant Church of God. Volunteers are needed to help with traffic control and clean up. The pantry is held during the morning on the last Thursday of every month. For information call 724-542-4003.
• If you would like to spend a day at the Gettysburg National Park, the West Overton Village and Museums is sponsoring a day trip for June 18. The day trip will consist of a two hour guided battlefield tour, the cyclorama, the museum and more. The ticket price of $60 includes the bus trip, light breakfast, buffet lunch and box dinner. All reservations must be made by Monday. For reservations, call 724-887-7910 or visit www.westovertonvillage.org.
• If you are a resident of the Mt. Pleasant Township, your monthly recycling date will be the first Thursday of a full week of each month. If you do not have a container from your recycling company, use any container that you have but please mark it as recyclable. Township residents are to put their recycle containers at the end of their drive ways or in the location they put their trash when it is collected. For a full schedule of recycle information and other township information visit www.mtpleasanttwp.com.
The next recycling days in Mt. Pleasant Borough will be June 9 and 10.
Marilyn Forbes is a Mt. Pleasant resident.