Applebee's manager charged with theft from South Union restaurant
A Scottdale woman employed as a manager at a Fayette County restaurant is charged with stealing more than $14,000 in deposits during a recent four-day period.
On Wednesday, state police filed two counts of burglary and four counts of theft against Shanna M. Grippo, 34.
A warrant has been issued for Grippo's arrest. She could not be reached for comment.
In an affidavit of probable cause filed by state police Trooper Richard Sizer, Grippo is accused of keeping deposits from the South Union Applebee's.
According to the affidavit, Grippo opened the restaurant early on June 7, completed her shift and left, taking deposits from June 6 totaling $3,849.
Grippo then began a vacation scheduled through June 15, police said.
On June 8, she went to the restaurant at 2:54 a.m., deactivated door and office alarms, and removed June 7 deposits totaling $4,519.35, police said.
At 5:10 a.m. June 9, Grippo returned to the restaurant where another manager was doing inventory. Grippo told the manager she needed to use a computer, then offered to drop off bank deposits for him.
She was given June 8 deposits totaling $3,828.63, according to the affidavit.
Grippo returned to the restaurant at 3:30 a.m. June 10, deactivated the alarms and entered the building, removing June 9 deposits from an office safe totaling $2,371.47, police said.
Management noticed money missing and contacted PNC Bank, which verified that none of the money, totaling $14,568.45, had been deposited.
Grippo will face a preliminary hearing before Senior Judge Robert Breakiron at a later date.
Applebee's spokesman Dan Smith said the South Union restaurant is a franchise location.
“The franchisee is aware of the situation and cooperating with local law enforcement and providing any information they can for the investigation,” he said.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Endowment of $3.49B makes University of Pittsburgh 25th richest in U.S.
- Westmoreland County settles with fired public defender
- Braddock man held for trial in Jeannette assault, robbery
- Suspect in West Newton burglary sought, alleged accomplice arrested
- Rostraver Democrat aims for 1 of 3 open spots on Westmoreland County bench
- 3 injured in 2-vehicle accident on Arona Road in Hempfield
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident
- Woman pays $178 fine for Westmoreland courthouse conduct
- New Alexandria tree trimmer pleads guilty to fraud
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- New Derry woman charged after mail delivery of 4 pounds of marijuana