Greensburg coach charged with corruption of minors
A track and field coach allegedly sent inappropriate text messages to a 15-year-old girl and repeatedly asked her to dinner, according to police.
Anthony Louis Boerio, 53, of South Greensburg is facing two misdemeanor counts of corruption of minors.
Westmoreland County Detective Robert Weaver said Boerio met the girl at the Greensburg YMCA, where he was working. The teenager learned that Boerio was a track coach and asked if he could recommend some strength exercises, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
The pair exchanged telephone numbers, police said.
During an April 17 interview, the girl told Weaver that text messages from Boerio “became creepy” and she blocked his number and went to a different gym, the affidavit states.
Some of the messages the girl received between February and March that were reported to police said: “Speaking of scary, I was wondering what you look like when you wake up in the morning. I'd like to find out” and “If you get stuck at school just hike over to my place.”
Boerio resigned as an assistant coach with the Penn-Trafford High School track team in May.
Boerio could not be reached for comment on Thursday.
During an interview with detectives on April 24, Boerio said he “may have taken (the girl's) attention the wrong way,” according to the affidavit.
Boerio told police he remembered some of the messages and did not deny sending them, Weaver wrote in the affidavit.
A summons has been issued and a July 31 preliminary hearing is scheduled. Boerio does not have an attorney listed in online court records.
Renatta Signorini is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-837-5374 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Huntingdon man accused of road rage altercation in Westmoreland
- Reputed major heroin trafficker in Westmoreland County pleads guilty, gets prison sentence
- Zoning update raises fears in Ligonier Township
- Event gets new formal name: Shop ’n Save Westmoreland County Airshow, presented by Xcoal Energy & Resources in Latrobe
- Auction nets $20,000 from ill-gotten gain in slaying, theft from Washington County woman
- Fast-growing Americans for Prosperity opens location in Greensburg
- Court in the Classroom program provides insight for Norwin High School students
- Police claim woman stabbed husband at their Jeannette business
- Deputy sheriff seeks top spot in Greensburg office
- Police arrest Blairsville man stabbed with bayonet
- Excela center proposal worries residents of Hempfield neighborhood