YMCA cut ties with fitness attendant
A South Greensburg man accused of sending inappropriate texts to a teenage girl was not involved with the Greensburg YMCA's track and field program.
YMCA Chief Executive Officer George O'Brien said Anthony Louis Boerio, 53, was working as a fitness attendant when officials learned of the allegations. Boerio's employment was terminated in the spring ”as soon as we found out about the situation,” O'Brien said.
Boerio, a track and field coach, is facing two misdemeanor corruption of minors charges for allegedly sending inappropriate text messages to a 15-year-old girl, according to police. The pair exchanged phone numbers after meeting at the YMCA and the teenager asked for him to recommend some strength exercises, police said.
The girl reported to police in April that text messages she received between February and March from Boerio “became creepy,” and she blocked his number.
Boerio resigned in May from his position as an assistant track and field coach at Penn-Trafford School District. During an interview with detectives on April 24, Boerio said he “may have taken (the girl's) attention the wrong way” and didn't deny sending the messages, according to the affidavit.
O'Brien said a background check conducted on Boerio at the time of his employment didn't raise any concerns.
A July 31 preliminary hearing is scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn Township man seeking gun permit accused of bringing heroin to courthouse
- Father, son killed in East Huntingdon crash
- Consent decree that limits weddings at Foxley Farms ruled valid
- YouTube campaign by Latrobe 4-year-old aids Alzheimer’s Association
- Adelphoi resident charged as adult in Latrobe assault
- Police: Westmoreland women stole thousands to pay for dog show hobby
- Forbes: Monday is pizza night at St. Pius
- Murrysville man draws on experiences in starting SAT prep academy
- Sewickley Township man got food stamps, $206K in gas well royalties, investigators say
- Man snatches purse behind Westmoreland Mall
- Westmoreland Glass Co. plant sale fought