YMCA cut ties with fitness attendant
A South Greensburg man accused of sending inappropriate texts to a teenage girl was not involved with the Greensburg YMCA's track and field program.
YMCA Chief Executive Officer George O'Brien said Anthony Louis Boerio, 53, was working as a fitness attendant when officials learned of the allegations. Boerio's employment was terminated in the spring ”as soon as we found out about the situation,” O'Brien said.
Boerio, a track and field coach, is facing two misdemeanor corruption of minors charges for allegedly sending inappropriate text messages to a 15-year-old girl, according to police. The pair exchanged phone numbers after meeting at the YMCA and the teenager asked for him to recommend some strength exercises, police said.
The girl reported to police in April that text messages she received between February and March from Boerio “became creepy,” and she blocked his number.
Boerio resigned in May from his position as an assistant track and field coach at Penn-Trafford School District. During an interview with detectives on April 24, Boerio said he “may have taken (the girl's) attention the wrong way” and didn't deny sending the messages, according to the affidavit.
O'Brien said a background check conducted on Boerio at the time of his employment didn't raise any concerns.
A July 31 preliminary hearing is scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fast-growing Americans for Prosperity opens location in Greensburg
- Officials plan software upgrade to Westmoreland County emergency dispatching system
- Prosecutors want texts back in Pinkney trial
- Ligonier Township planners offer suggested changes to zoning proposal
- Westmoreland County Courthouse, annex roofs will be given $665K fix
- Police claim woman stabbed husband at their Jeannette business
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Excela center proposal worries residents of Hempfield neighborhood
- Court in the Classroom program provides insight for Norwin High School students
- $7.6M buyout at Hempfield prison site clouds sale
- Deputy sheriff seeks top spot in Greensburg office