Former Jeannette parking attendant charged with theft
A former Jeannette employee who was fired when he was unable to explain how more than $300 in parking revenue disappeared, has been charged with theft, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness, according to court records.
Shawn Eric Hart, 44, of Gaskill Avenue, was arraigned on charges he stole $322 from the Magee Avenue parking lot in May, records show.
He was released on $5,000 bond pending a preliminary hearing on the charges.
The city reopened the lot in May and hired Hart and another man to handle parking revenue. Three bags of money were missing from the office at the lot and Hart gave city officials and police different versions of what happened.
Hart initially told police that he was with a sick sister in the hospital and had taken the money home because three men from a nearby bar told Hart they were planning to rob him, records show. Hart was ordered to take the money to city hall but he said he didn't drive, so a city secretary said she would send a police car to pick up the money, records indicate.
But Hart said no one was home at the time and he reluctantly agreed to take the money to the police station later, according to records. He never showed up, police said.
Hart later said the money was stolen from his car while he was eating in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, records show. Hart did not report the theft to Pittsburgh police.
Hart dodged county detectives who were trying to apprehend him but city police arrested him on Wednesday for allegedly fighting with another man in the middle of Clay Avenue, officials said.
He was jailed briefly at the police station where he was involved in a scuffle with officers.
Richard Gazarik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-830-6292 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West
- Mt. Pleasant alumni lead campaign to buy handicapped-accessible van for former classmate
- Trooper: Suspect confessed to fatal Hempfield shooting
- Franklin Regional security guard fighting to get job back
- Man admits preying on Lower Burrell neighbor, taking more than $100K in money, goods
- Latrobe law firm’s secretary pleads guilty to income tax evasion
- Dog-training program gives prison inmates chance to give back