Mt. Pleasant Twp. woman killed in Hempfield crash
Speed is believed to be a factor in a single-vehicle crash that killed a Mt. Pleasant Township woman whose vehicle hit a tree in Hempfield early Sunday morning, the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office said.
Sherri A. Knox-Fink, 44, of Lilac Lane was fatally injured at 8:37 a.m. when her westbound 2004 Chrysler Pacifica crashed along Stone Church Road, about 1,800 feet east of Sweitzer Road, state police at Greensburg said. Knox-Fink's westbound vehicle crossed into the opposite lane of traffic, hit a mailbox and utility pole and slammed into a tree, police said.
Knox-Fink died of blunt-force trauma of the head and neck and was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:57 a.m., Westmoreland County Deputy Coroner Timothy P. O'Donnell said. An autopsy will not be performed, and results of toxicology tests will not be available for several weeks, O'Donnell said.
The airbags deployed, but the victim was not wearing a seat belt, O'Donnell said. The deputy coroner said it is not known whether a cellphone was being used at the time of the crash.
Knox-Fink's Facebook posting states that she is originally from Altoona. The Mauk-Yates Funeral Home of Altoona will be handling arrangements. No information on funeral arrangements was available Sunday night.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-5252 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arnold man sentenced for armed robbery
- Murrysville man draws on experiences in starting SAT prep academy
- Geyer helps revive Scottdale theater that bears family name
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower
- Mt. Pleasant Relay for Life participants unfazed by rain
- Burger named for late Greensburg VFD member star of ‘bashes’
- Mt. Pleasant customers to see sewage bills increase
- Man snatches purse behind Westmoreland Mall
- Fire damages Derry home, leaves family with ‘about nothing’
- State grant to aid Excela plans for orthopedic center in Hempfield
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg