Donora man acquitted of trying to kill rival
After 90 minutes of deliberations, a Westmoreland County jury on Wednesday acquitted a Donora man of trying to kill his romantic rival in a Monessen bar.
The jury found Calvin Goggins, 62, guilty of lesser charges of reckless endangerment and a firearms offense.
Prosecutors contended Goggins argued over the telephone with his former girlfriend and her new boyfriend on Sept. 6, 2012. Fifteen minutes later, he stormed into the Steel City Grille and fired three shots from his .25-caliber semiautomatic handgun. No one was injured.
The jury rejected the prosecution's efforts to convict Goggins of attempted murder and aggravated assault.
Assistant District Attorney Allen Powanda said Goggins went to the bar specifically to kill Jeffrey Hill. Evidence during the two-day trial indicated the altercation between Goggins and Hill started when Goggins repeatedly called his ex-girlfriend, Hope Harris.
Prosecutors contended Goggins fired the shots and was immediately subdued by Hill and others in the bar.
Goggins, who has been in jail since his arrest the day of the shooting, will be sentenced in about two months by Judge Richard E. McCormick Jr.
Rich Cholodofsky is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Identities of theft suspects sought by Penn Township and state police
- Westmoreland judge: Contact with advocacy group won’t hamper fairness in drug trial
- Grant program targets 7 Westmoreland County towns, including Greensburg, for revitalization
- 1 injured in Mt. Pleasant Twp. accident
- Girl, 8, hit by truck in North Irwin, breaks leg
- Mt. Pleasant Scout creates drop box for flag disposal
- Latrobe-Unity parks department seeks grant; revamp to cost $112K
- 40-year-old Latrobe woman used boy, 13, for sex, drugs, police say
- Harhai campaign emails from 2007 under review, Westmoreland County DA says
- Contract talks to start this week for prison union in Westmoreland
- Greensburg finalizes deal to provide sign language interpreter for soccer program