Friends of Homeless Felines marks 10 years in Scottdale
A great big thank you goes out to veterinarian Howard Markle and his staff at the Scottdale Veterinary Clinic for his involvement with the Scottdale-based organization, Friends of Homeless Felines. Ten years of working together has warranted good results for the group. Thank you, Dr. Markle, for caring.
• St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, corner of Painter and Vance streets, Everson will hold its annual festival from 5 to 10 p.m. Saturday and 2 to 10 p.m. Sunday on parish grounds. Dinners will be served each day in the parish hall: from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday, a Polish platter will be served, and from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, a turkey dinner will be served. In addition to great Polish food, there will be many other festival foods available along with games for all ages. On Saturday, a polka Mass will be held at 4 p.m. and there will be a 10:30 a.m. Mass held Sunday. On Saturday, music will be provided by Ray J and the Carousels polka band. On Sunday,there will be a battle of the bands contest and D.J. Frank Taft. Grand prize drawing will be held at 10 p.m. Sunday. For more information, call 724-887-3718.
• At 6:30 p.m. the second Wednesday of every month at the Scottdale Public Library, Spring Street, the Scottdale Writers Club will meet. A writing contest was held and the following people were winners: Jami Fisher, Keera Frye and Bailey Geehring. The club is always looking for new members. For more information, call the library at 724-887-6140 or call Clyde Stoner, club president, at 724-887-5530.
• Writers, you have until Sept. 25, the deadline to be a contributor to the Bullskin Township Historical Society Writers contest. Cash prizes will be awarded. For more information, visit www.bullskintownshiphistoricalsociety.org and click on writing contest application or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-887-7278.
• Thank you to all the people who helped to make the recent car show, sponsored by the Scottdale Area Chamber of Commerce and the Scottdale Parks Commission, a success. And also to all the vendors that participated. We are looking forward to the 2015 car show.
• The Scottdale Community Pool will conduct classes for those interested in becoming lifeguards. At the conclusion of the course and completion of a written examination, successful candidates will receive American Red Cross certification as a lifeguard plus CPR/AED certification; both will be valid for two years. All participants must be at least 15 years of age. Classes will be held from 7 to 10 p.m. Aug. 4, 7, 11, 14 and 18 and 8 to 11 p.m. Aug. 5, 8, 12, 15 and 19. Participants must be present for all classes. There is a fee for this course. To register or for more information, call the pool at 724-887-0667 or email email@example.com.
• Congratulations are in order to recent graduates from Everson, Ruffsdale and Scottdale who received degrees from Westmoreland County Community College. Among them are Scottdale resident Kailyn Robertucci, who is president of the Connellsville-Scottdale Salvation Army Board. The board meets every other month at noon at Bud Murphy's Sports Bar and Restaurant. Best of luck to all of you and great success in your future. God bless you all.
• Kudos to Frank Kapr of Scottdale, a licensed Pennsylvania funeral director for 50 years with the Frank Kapr Funeral Home Inc., for being honored for dedicated professional service by the Pennsylvania Funeral Directors Association. The reward was presented at a special recognition ceremony event at the 133rd annual PFDA Convention & Expo held June 10 at the Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey in Grantville. Kapr has owned the Frank Kapr Funeral Home Inc., 417 W. Pittsburgh St., Scottdale, for 39 years and worked along with his father, Frank Kapr Sr., until his father's death in 1980.
• August promo schedule for the Pittsburgh Pirates is as follows: Aug. 8, free shirt Friday; Aug. 9, Zambelli Fireworks/Scratch ‘n Win; Aug. 10, Kids Pirates Ice Cream Bowl/Kids Day; Aug. 29, free shirt Friday; Aug. 30, Fantam postgame concert featuring Gavin DeGraw/Scratch ‘n Win; and Aug. 31, Kids Starling Marte replica batting practice jersey/Kids Day. For ticket information, visit www.pirates.com or call 877-893-2827.
• A friendly reminder, the Scottdale Community Yard Sale will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. To help buyers find the treasures, stop by Collections by Marty on Pittsburgh Street, Scottdale for a “treasure map.”
• The last day for the Southmoreland School District summer lunch program is Aug. 8. I hope all the children took advantage of the program in all locations. Students and parents, enjoy the rest of your summer vacations.
• Reserved season tickets for the 2014 Southmoreland football season will be on sale from 9:30 a.m. to noon Aug. 16 and 6 to 8:30 p.m. Aug. 22 at the stadium concession stand. The cost of the five-game home ticket package is $20, a savings of $5 vs. buying them one at a time at the gate. Reserved seat tickets purchased at the gate will be $5 per ticket, per game. Home games are: Aug. 29 against Charleroi, Sept. 12 against Brownsville, Sept. 19 against McGuffey, Oct. 3 against Burgettstown (homecoming) and Oct. 10 against Waynesburg (senior night). Tickets also will be available at the senior high athletic office between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Aug. 18 to 22.
Readers, have a great week.
Patricia Walker is a Scottdale resident.