Scottdale Everson Bridge to undergo repairs next week
Motorists who use the Scottdale Everson Bridge could face more than three months of detours, beginning July 22.
The bridge, which carries Route 3087 over Jacobs Creek between Everson in Fayette County and Scottdale in Westmoreland County, is one of two bridges on a $712,995 contract given to Golden Triangle Construction Co. of Pittsburgh.
A marked detour will be in place from the bridge to Route 819, to Route 119 south to the Everson exit, to Route 1029 to Everson. The detour will be only for the Scottdale Everson Bridge work.
Mike Banaszak, Everson council president, said he was unaware of the project, possibly because he had been away when the notification arrived.
“We definitely will bring that up (at the council meeting on July 21,)” Banaszak said. “We will ensure the firemen know about it and also the ambulance service.”
Attempts to contact Scottdale Borough Manager Angelo Pallone on Monday afternoon were unsuccessful. However, a secretary said the borough was aware of the closing.
Southmoreland School District Superintendent John A. Molnar said he was unaware of the closing. However, Molnar said it would be best to speak with the district's transportation supervisors, who were off.
“That definitely will require changes in our bus routes,” Molnar said.
According to Valerie Petersen, community relations coordinator for PennDOT District 12 in Uniontown, notice was sent to the school district's transportation officials. She added that 911 officials also were alerted.
Work on the bridge will include concrete abutment repair, deck epoxy overlay, approach roadway replacement and other items.
The preservation project is expected to be completed by Oct. 31.
Work on the Scottdale Everson Bridge will be followed by work on a bridge on Route 66 in Greensburg.
According to PennDOT, bridges are preserved and highways are rehabilitated. There is no difference for the average motorist.
Karl Polacek is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Project to tear down former Jeannette District Memorial Hospital on schedule, Excela says
- Norwin band director is finding lots of success in return to his alma mater
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director
- Hempfield leaders kill zoning request for townhomes
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Judge dismisses Latrobe man’s appeal in ’08 strangulation
- United Way surplus funds benefit 9 nonprofits in Westmoreland County
- Penn Township man who shot friend gets probation
- Demolition project at Oliver’s Pourhouse in Greensburg moves ahead
- Police: Deer rifle in vehicle at Southmoreland High School