Penn police charge third man in rash of vehicle thefts
Penn Township police charged a third man on Monday in connection with a recent rash of thefts from parked vehicles.
Chief John Otto said Justin Helfrich, 28, of North Huntingdon was arraigned on theft charges in connection with incidents that occurred between July 3 and 9 in the Cortina Marie housing plan.
Court documents indicate Helfrich admitted to stealing multiple items, including a Louis Vuitton purse and gift cards, from vehicles.
Last week, officials charged Andrew J. Kakol, 25, of Irwin with receiving stolen property and criminal conspiracy in connection with the thefts.
Earlier, police said they arrested Sebastian P. Weaver, 20, no address available, as he was breaking into a car.
Otto said Kakol, who was free on bond, was jailed on Saturday after officers stopped his motorcycle for a traffic violation and he was found in possession of a hypodermic needle.
Preliminary hearings are scheduled July 22 before Harrison City District Judge Helen Kistler.
Paul Peirce is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-850-2860 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coming off hill revives Seton Hill University, downtown Greensburg
- Westmoreland community leaders discuss how to meet hunger needs
- Marathoner hit by vehicle in Murrysville recuperates
- Mutual Aid plans fundraising throughout Westmoreland County to bolster member numbers
- ‘Bride’ goes on at Geyer theater in Scottdale
- Charges filed in stolen property investigation
- Fines against MAX Environmental up to Westmoreland judge
- 4 sentenced for roles in botched Lower Burrell heist
- 4 seek 3 nominations for Southwest Greensburg council
- Deputies nixed by county commissioners for Westmoreland Air Show
- Latrobe pharmacy will offer overdose antidote