Penn police charge third man in rash of vehicle thefts
Penn Township police charged a third man on Monday in connection with a recent rash of thefts from parked vehicles.
Chief John Otto said Justin Helfrich, 28, of North Huntingdon was arraigned on theft charges in connection with incidents that occurred between July 3 and 9 in the Cortina Marie housing plan.
Court documents indicate Helfrich admitted to stealing multiple items, including a Louis Vuitton purse and gift cards, from vehicles.
Last week, officials charged Andrew J. Kakol, 25, of Irwin with receiving stolen property and criminal conspiracy in connection with the thefts.
Earlier, police said they arrested Sebastian P. Weaver, 20, no address available, as he was breaking into a car.
Otto said Kakol, who was free on bond, was jailed on Saturday after officers stopped his motorcycle for a traffic violation and he was found in possession of a hypodermic needle.
Preliminary hearings are scheduled July 22 before Harrison City District Judge Helen Kistler.
Paul Peirce is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-850-2860 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coal truck, another hauling beer crash on Route 22
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident
- Rustic Ridge Mine permit request criticized
- Krieger to seek Westmoreland County Common Pleas judgeship
- WCCC officials vow to erase $2.2M deficit
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- New Derry woman charged after mail delivery of 4 pounds of marijuana
- Tanker crash closes lane of Turnpike in Penn Township
- Latrobe police seek driver of red cargo van
- 2 accused of taking baby to New Kensington drug deal get probation
- Parking ban on New Stanton street discriminatory, property manager alleges