St. Pius to host church festival on Sunday
The annual St. Pius Church Festival will be held from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday on parish grounds adjacent to the church on Summit Street.
The festival will feature lots of games, a 50/50 drawing, Chinese raffle and plenty of great food that the parish ladies have been preparing for weeks.
In addition, there will be a roast beef/chicken dinner served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Live entertainment will include DJ Jared from noon to 3 p.m.; balloon artist from 4 to 6 p.m.; and a great band, Back in Time, from 6 to 9 p.m. Volunteers are still needed. Anyone interested may call the parish offices at 724-547-1911. Take some time out of your Sunday and stop over for some festival fun.
• A big kudo going out to Margo Covelesky, 12, of Mt. Pleasant, who hosted a very successful doll pageant last week as a fundraising event. Covelesky donated the money from entry fees to the St. Vincent de Paul group and collected lots of perishable items that will be donated to the Good Samaritan Center. It's so wonderful to see someone so young take an interest in helping others.
• Hats off to the dedicated participants who braved the rain and still made the annual Mt. Pleasant Relay for Life a success. Rain fell for most of the event, but everyone seemed to have fun. Many survivors took part in the survivor walk. Hopefully, next year the sun will shine for this wonderful annual event.
• There will be open auditions for the upcoming comedy “A Family Reunion to Die For.” They will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday and 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday in the Geyer Performing Arts Center, Scottdale. Needed are 12 adult females and five adult males for the show, to be staged Sept. 11-14. For more information, call 724-887-0887.
• St. Florian's Church will hold its annual summer festival from noon to 9 p.m. Aug. 10. The festival will feature games, a huge basket raffle, great food featuring the church's famous fried dough and its annual giant book sale.
In addition, the festival will feature entertainment by Frank Powaski, who will broadcast live from the festival from noon to 3 p.m., then continue as DJ until 5 p.m. The oldies band Back in Time will perform from 5 to 9 p.m. The festival will be held rain or shine and is always a great way to spend a summer afternoon.
• Get a whiter smile to go with your summer tan. Dr. Paul Kraisinger is offering a special on teeth whitening. Total cost of the procedure will be donated toward the purchase of a handicapped vehicle for Mt. Pleasant graduate Ted Pence, who lost his vehicle in the spring. The whitening fundraiser is called “Smiles for Ted” and will run through Labor Day, Sept. 1. You can go to either the Mt. Pleasant or Greensburg offices for the procedure, for a $175 donation. Get a big white smile for summer and donate toward a young man who needs some help. For an appointment, call 724-836-DENT (724-836-3368).
• If you are in the mood for some great music and entertainment, head over to the gazebo by Veterans Park for this week's Concert in the Park featuring the band The Valentinos. The evening also will feature fire truck rides. Immediately after the show, a movie will by shown in the park for a full evening of family fun. Food will be offered by the Mt. Pleasant Township Lions Club. Music will begin at 6:30 p.m., so bring your blankets and chairs and enjoy a summer evening.
• Mt. Pleasant Library is offering beginners crochet classes. Classes will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays in the library. For more information, call 724-547-3850.
• While we are on the library, a writer's club is being offered for all potential writers to enjoy, from 5:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of every month. Call the library at 724-547-3850 for more information or to register.
• Ohiopyle is looking for vendors and crafters for its upcoming Music in the Mountains 2014 event, to be held Aug. 30 and 31 at Ohiopyle State Park. All crafts must be homemade. No food vendors will be permitted. For more information or to register, call 724-329-8594 or email email@example.com.
To submit an item for this column, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marilyn Forbes is a Mt. Pleasant resident.